Wednesday, April 19, 2023

#TankaTuesday Weekly #Poetry Challenge - Create a Syllabic Form #poem #poetrycommunity #syllabicpoetry

 

Hello, beautiful readers! This week, Colleen Chesebro celebrated her 65th birthday, so for this week's #TankaTuesday Weekly Poetry Challenge, she asked each of us to create a syllabic form with 65 syllables in it. I chose to do a variation of the shadorma

My new poem form is called an adorna (nod to the shadorma). It consists of three stanzas and is unrhymed. The first two stanzas have a syllabic pattern of 3/5/3/3/6/5 and the last stanza's syllabic pattern is 2/3/4/4/2. In total, there are 65 syllables. The poem should be titled.

As we are celebrating Colleen's birthday, I chose to write a poem to celebrate life. Happy birthday, Colleen! :-)


(courtesy of Canva.com)


Life's Greatest Gift


a child's birth

blessing from above

miracle

joyous gift

hopes for a great future

fills the heart with love


each birthday

new milestones are met

babe to child

teenager

leaves home to start new path

her journey unfolds


each year

celebrate

trip around sun

best gift of all

living


Would you like to try your hand at writing an adorna? I'd love to read it!

Do you want to create your own poetic form and have it published on Colleen's website? Then, join in on our fun here.

33 comments:

  1. A lovely look at aging, Yvi! So uplifting. Happy Birthday to Colleen. Hugs, Harmony 💕🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the form name "adorna," Yvette. Perfect for Colleen and her birthday/birthweek celebration. A beautiful poem about the beauty of growth and life. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful poem and tribute to Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful tribute 🙌 (AJ)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you've captured the movement of time, Yvi. Beautiful -- and a perfect happy birthday to Colleen. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, happy poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good form! It works well and the poem is truly a celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the name of your form and it has a light and airy feel to the one you wrote using it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is always a good thing to celebrate! and the form matches your words well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kerfe! I appreciate you stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful journey you've captured, Yvette:) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! I appreciate you sharing that with me. :-)

      Delete
  11. Great name and great poem Yvette 🙌

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is splendid. The form works well. And I loved the progression of time that culminated with Colleen’s birthday. What a fantastic thing a birthday is. Happy birthday to Colleen and to you, Yve, thanks. Lovely poem. Xoxo Selma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Selma! I'm so happy you enjoyed it. :-)

      Delete
  13. a lovely tribute to life and Colleen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lady Lee! I appreciate you visiting! :-)

      Delete
  14. Beautiful celebratory poem, the form is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. (Jules) Lovely... I can see so many good celebrations being played out in your verses. I copied your info to try your form - Not sure when though as I am way behind ... Spring has me out in the garden. :)

    Though with our bowling almost done... I should be able to catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you in a bowling league, Jules? I love bowling and was part of a league when I was a kid. It's so much fun. I would love to read your poem with my form once you get around to it. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  16. A beautiful poem of the circle of life 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willow! I appreciate you visiting and commenting. :-)

      Delete
  17. This lovely poem gladdens my heart, Yvette...

    Sincerely,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David! I'm happy I made your heart smile. :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)