Thursday, November 30, 2023

#TankaTuesday Weekly #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #seasonalKigo #Kigo #seasons #dodoitsu #Winter #holidaycheer @ColleenChesebro @YvetteMCalleiro


Hello, beautiful readers! This week is part two of Shosetsu, or Light Snow, for the #TankaTuesday 24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge. For this week, Colleen Chesebro has encouraged us to write a series of three dodoitsu. This form has four lines with a7-7-7-5 syllabic pattern. To make the challenge more interesting, she's asked us to use the following kigo phrases in each stanza:

Stanza 1 - "early winter dusk"
Stanza 2 - "chilly north winds blow"
Stanza 3 - "warmth around the hearth"

We are having a cold front in South Florida right now. It's dropped into the 60s, and that is way too cold for me. Luckily, we will be back in the 80s by this weekend. You Northerners can have your cold back, thank you very much. 😝

So, here is my poem. Although each required stanza has exactly five syllables, I've chosen to incorporate them in the seven-syllable lines. 

(courtesy of @Monikas_Wunderwelt on Pixabay)

humans manipulate time
causing early winter dusks
draining energy from days
nature's mom cares not

winter comes for almost all
chilly north winds blow about
humans seek shelter inside
critters hibernate

warmth around the hearth comforts
holiday cheer uplifts hearts
family and friends gather
bountiful blessings

I don't have a hearth because - South Florida, people! - but there are a few nights every year when I wish I had one. Are you a fan of cold weather, or do you fantasize about visiting the tropics during this time? I'd love to hear from you.

Would you like to write a poem with us? Join us here.

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely poem, Yvette. I love certain things about cold weather, such as the awesome warm sweaters I only get to wear occasionally. And there's nothing more comforting than a fire in a fireplace (of which I do not have). But I prefer more moderate temperatures. Glad Florida is warming back up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Jan! I am very happy my area warmed back up. I spent the day at the beach and loved every minute of it. :-)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful poem, Yvette. I grew up in a California desert. We only had Spring and Summer. Over the years, I've come to love the 4 seasons - MILD 4 seasons. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Mild is the correct word, Gwen! Thanks for visiting and sharing! :-)

      Delete
  3. Ha, ha! LOL! I laughed so hard at your commentary, Yvi. I lived in south Florida years ago. It was 80 degrees F. on Christmas. As a northern girl, I could'nt function. 😝 So, I totally understand where you're coming from. I love the way you integrated the kigo phrases into your dodoitsu. Thanks for the good laugh. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy I could bring you a chuckle or two, Colleen! Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  4. Yvette I wish there was a way to manipulate time so we got more daylight in winter. These short-light days and long nights are already getting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They get to me as well. I need more sunlight in my life. Thanks for passing by and sharing your thoughts, Lisa! :-)

      Delete
  5. Lovely poem, Yvette. It's cold-ish here, and I don't think you'd like it. Lol. I hope your hot days return soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! I was at the beach yesterday, so my heart is happy. :-) Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  6. A lovely poem, Yvette. Like you, I do not like cold but we have about a month of really cold weather (cold is relative but it drops to 0C at night and about 9C as a midday high) which I hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That isn't cold, Robbie! That's freezing! Lol! Thanks for stopping by and sharing. :-)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful poem, Yvette, and I love your humor too! We live in No. Cal. so our weather has been similar, but cold in the morning and evenings. As I get older, I like the cooler temps. :) So 60s to me sounds perfect. But mid 70s are great as well as low 80s. If it climbs higher than these, I melt. :) Although around the holidays, I prefer cold and cozy. And right now, our stockings hang on the mantle eager to be filled by Santa. :) I hope you have a wonderful holiday season. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the high 70s, low 80s right now, and that is perfectly fine for me. The 60s is cold but somewhat tolerable. Anything below that is not welcomed in my world. Lol! Thanks for sharing, Lauren! I hope Santa is generous this year. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful piece, Yvette! I keep learning about new styles of poetry almost every time I read through blogs. Quite mind boggling, really. It's actually quite warm up here, at least seasonally, at the moment. I know I may sound crazy, but I actually enjoy the changing seasons. I enjoy downhill skiing, sledding, and skating. For me, it's the darkness rather than the cold that is the fly in the ointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed skiing when I went on vacation to Lake Tahoe, and it didn't feel as cold as I thought it would. I can tolerate it for a vacation but not for an every day thing. I love ice skating and do so in our local indoor ice staking rink. But I agree with you, the darkness affects me much more than the cold. Thanks for visiting and sharing, Mark! :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)