Thursday, November 30, 2023

November Book Review #bookreview #books #readingcommunity #stroke #recovery @Maureen_2me @YvetteMCalleiro #RRBC

Hello, beautiful readers! I hope you all had a wonderful November. I enjoyed my week off of work for Thanksgiving break. I went on a small cruise with my sister and our sons. I created a checklist of things I wanted to get done, and I managed to check everything off the list, so I'm happy!

I even managed to finish reading a book! I also started writing again, and it feels so good. I'm hoping to make a habit of it, so I can hopefully finally publish Drake's story in 2024. Fingers crossed! Here is my review for my November read.

Before, Afdre, and After (My stroke... oh what fun)

by Maureen Twomey


Genre: Memoir

Pages: 316 pages

Blurb:

When Maureen Twomey was only thirty-three years old, she experienced a massive stroke—one that took away her ability to read, write, walk, and even speak (AAAAAAAHHH!!). Well, she wasn’t about to go down without a fight. In Before, Afdre, and After, Twomey offers a sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes comical, and ultimately inspiring account of what it is to lose everything when you’re supposed to be in the prime of your life—and what it takes to get it back, piece by tiny piece.

My Review:

I can't even begin to imagine having a stroke at 33 years old, much less keeping such an incredible outlook on life. Maureen Twomey takes us on a journey through her life before, during, and after her stroke. And through it all, though she lost many skills and had to relearn them, she never lost her positive energy. I truly believe that is one of the things that helped her survive and thrive even when doctors didn't think she would.

It angered me when she described how laidback the paramedics were when they picked her up. Then again, I'm sure we have learned a lot in the past twenty-three years since her stroke. Still, it was frustrating to read how much time was wasted. Through it all, Maureen was surrounded by friends and family, which is a tribute to what a wonderful person she was before the stroke. And through her words, you can sense that she is just as wonderful today.

This is an inspiring read of a young woman's journey to come back from a rare stroke with humor and determination, and I highly recommend it for anyone going through tough times and for anyone who wants to be inspired.


Have you read any great books lately? I'd love to hear from you! :-)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting read, Yvette. I'm glad to hear you were able to enjoy a cruise with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark! It is a great read. Maureen showed so much courage and has such a positive outlook on life. It was inspiring. :-)

      Delete
  2. Maureen is a truly incredible and inspiring human being. Her book is helping me get through my own stroke that happened in July 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Maureen!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)