Hello, beautiful readers! It has been another great month of reading for me. For the first half, I was on a two-and-a-half week hiking road trip, and I wound down each night doing a little reading, so I was able to read through many books this month. The second half of the month brought me less reading time, but I was still able to finish a few stories. I enjoyed them all! Here are my reviews:
Book Genre: Polyamory Romance
Pages: 252
Book Blurb:
Love means sacrifice. And that’s what I’ve done: given everything to keep those I care about safe.
Now, I’m back where it all began, trapped with the architect of my nightmares. And this time, I know he won’t stop until he breaks me.
But my wolves won’t stop either. They’ll do anything to bring me home and end the one who has me in his sights.
Only there are more monsters and enemies than we ever could’ve imagined, and when new secrets are revealed, it will take everything we have to defeat them…
My Review:
This was such a great trilogy. I loved this final book. The new characters brought more depth to the relationships (and I can’t wait to read Rhys’s story!). The way Wren finally sealed her mating bonds was amazing, and I enjoyed every moment of it. I loved how the author wrapped up the loose ends after the final battle. I’m looking forward to reading more from this author.
Book Genre: Workplace Romance
Pages: 366
Book Blurb:
Terminated for inappropriate behavior.
I couldn’t believe the letter in my hands.
Nine years. Nine damn years I’d worked my butt off for one of the largest companies in America, and I was fired with a form letter when I returned home from a week in Aruba.
All because of a video taken when I was on vacation with my friends—a private video made on my private time. Or so I thought…
Pissed off, I cracked open a bottle of wine and wrote my own letter to the gazillionaire CEO telling him what I thought of his company and its practices.
I didn’t think he’d actually respond.
I certainly never thought I’d suddenly become pen pals with the rich jerk.
Eventually, he realized I’d been wronged and made sure I got my job back.
Only…it wasn’t the only thing Grant Lexington wanted to do for me.
But there was no way I was getting involved with my boss’s boss’s boss. Even if he was ridiculously gorgeous, confident, and charming.
It would be completely wrong, inappropriate even.
Sort of like the video that got me into trouble to begin with.
Two wrongs don’t make a right.
But sometimes it’s twice as fun.
My Review:
This is a new author to me, and I’m so happy I stumbled across her. This was such a great book! Ireland and Grant were amazing characters, and I loved the alternating POVs. The flashbacks of Grant’s past were brilliantly interwoven into the storyline. It was refreshing to see a male character with the haunted past instead of the woman, especially when that man was a sexy, overly confident CEO. If you love hot romances, I would definitely recommend this book!
Book Genre: Gaslamp Fantasy
Pages: 316
Book Blurb:
The arrival of Buffalo Bill's Wild West show in London brings trouble. When the sharpshooter who beats Willie at poker is murdered, Matt and India investigate. Willie is convinced the victim cheated, but no one knows how until India discovers his secret - he was a paper magician.
When their list of suspects grows to include a member of the mysterious magic Collector's Club, they uncover a spy. But who is he working for? And what does his employer want?
As danger circles, secrets are revealed, and India struggles to keep her own secret hidden from Matt. But when her grandfather introduces her to a man who can change her life, India must decide if she wants her life to change at all.
My Review:
Matt and India must solve another murder, this time to keep Duke from going to jail. When they find out the victim was a magician, it makes them even more determined to find the killer. While trying to solve the mystery, they are also planning their wedding. India’s grandfather is meddling in her life and trying to get her to embrace her magic more, frustrating Matt. And India tries to help her best friend become an independent woman.
This was such a great story with so many moving pieces! I loved how the story ended and can’t wait to read the next one, though I am worried about India’s secret being exposed in the worst way. I’m really enjoying this series.
Book Genre: Sword & Sorcery Fantasy
Pages: 496
Book Blurb:
An outcast burdened with a curse. A mercenary out for himself. A kingdom that must be saved.
In the deep, dark, dead of night, passions rise, and empires fall…
The Fulcrum is failing, and demons are slipping into the mortal world.
No one is safe.
Especially not Sorrel. An orphan and an outcast within the walls of her small village because of her mystical abilities. She wants to survive…and find somewhere she can call her true home. But Fate has other plans.
Sorrel has been chosen. Cursed.
She must cross the Badlands to return the Queen's crown and convince the fearsome female to save their world from destruction.
Well aware she’s no brave hero, Sorrel makes a dangerous deal with Merc, a brooding, commanding mercenary known only by his unscrupulous profession.
The deal? A night in his bed that she will never forget, in exchange for her safe passage.
But Merc has secrets of his own, and even though desire runs hot between them, adventure, danger, and betrayal lurk around every corner.
My Review:
JR Ward is one of my favorite authors because of her Black Dagger Brotherhood series, so when I heard she wrote this new book, I had to read it. As expected, I loved it! The characters were all amazingly written, especially Merc and Sorrel. I loved the struggles Sorrel had in trusting Merc and in accepting her feelings for him. And I loved how she held onto her goodness despite all that was done to her.
The revelation that happened in the last chapters of the book was mind-blowing, and I loved every minute of it! I won’t give anything away, but it was awesome! I loved how the author sprinkled in clues throughout the story, but the truth of it all was so powerful! This was a great book, and I cannot wait for her to write the next book, so I can dive right in!
Book Genre: New Adult & College Romance
Pages: 343
Book Blurb:
The first time I met Max Yearwood was on a blind date.
Max was insanely gorgeous, funny, and our chemistry was off the charts. He also had the biggest dimples I’d ever laid eyes on.
Exactly what I needed after my breakup.
Or so I thought…
Until my real date arrived.
Turned out, Max wasn’t who I was there to meet. He only pretended to be until my real date showed up.
To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.
Before he left, he slipped me a ticket to a hockey game a few blocks away, in case things didn’t work out on my actual date.
I tossed the ticket into my purse and went about trying to enjoy the man I was supposed to meet.
But my real blind date and I had no connection.
So on my way home, I decided to take a chance and stop by the game.
When I arrived, the seat next to me was empty.
Disappointed again, I decided to leave at the end of the period.
Just before the buzzer, one of the teams scored, and the entire arena went crazy.
A player’s face flashed up on the Jumbotron. He was wearing a helmet, but I froze when he smiled.
You guessed it: Dimples.
Apparently, my fake blind date hadn’t invited me to watch hockey with him, he’d invited me to watch him play.
And so began my adventure with Max Yearwood.
He was everything I needed at the time—fun, sexy, up for anything, and only around for a few months since he’d signed with a new team three-thousand miles away.
Max proposed we spend the summer helping me forget my ex. It sounded like a good plan. Things couldn’t get too serious when we had an expiration date. Right?
Though, you know what they say about the best-laid plans.
My Review:
What a great story! I was captured from the first chapter and couldn’t put it down. Georgia and Max were such great characters! I loved their relationship. Their chemistry and connection was amazing. This author is becoming a favorite of mine. There were so many parts where I laughed at loud at the humor she embedded in the moments. And there were moments I teared up because love isn’t perfect. I enjoyed everything about this story and am so happy with the ending.
Book Genre: Gaslamp Fantasy
Pages: 288
Book Blurb:
India's study into the language of spells is interrupted by the arrest of her teacher for an unpaid debt. Before Matt can repay it for him, the powerful magician escapes from his prison cell. To make matters worse, the moneylender is murdered and the magician is implicated.
Convinced of his innocence, India and Matt must discover who really killed the moneylender before the police find the magician. Their investigation leads them down a path littered with lies, betrayal, scandal, and interference from people they don't trust.
Meanwhile, Matt's relatives accuse Cyclops of ruining their daughter, and plan to marry off their manipulative youngest to someone even more manipulative and far more powerful. Should Matt and India support the union, or try to stop it? And how will they stop Cyclops from being deported back to America?
My Review:
This was another great addition to the series. This book had so many side plots, and I loved them. I'm happy India came clean with Matt about her secret so they could stay strong in their relationship. Matt's nieces caused so many headaches in this book, but I am happy that it brought Catherine and Cyclops closer together. Hope's situation still isn't resolved, but I hope she gets her comeuppance as well.
Solving this story's crime had several turns, which I loved. The author does a wonderful job in keeping you guessing and then pulling all the pieces together. The ending was great, and I'm already looking forward to reading the next one. :-)
Did you read any great books this month? I'd love to hear from you. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)