Tuesday, July 14, 2026

Natural Beauty - #TankaTuesday #bussokuseki #poem #poetry #poetrycommunity #nationalparks @YvetteMCalleiro

Hello, beautiful readers! I'm back from my hiking road trip. It was absolutely amazing! My son and I visited seven states [Nevada, California, Arizona (driving through), Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana (driving through)], went to six national parks (Yosemite, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Grand Teton, and Yellowstone), and hiked over 85 miles! Yes, you read that correctly! LOL! 

We completed many easy and moderate hikes, but we also conquered some strenuous (and even dangerous) hikes. We completed Angel's Landing, which is considered one of the deadliest hikes in America (of course, I didn't find this out until after we hiked it). We also completed the Narrows, which took us ten hours to do since it was mostly in shallow water with slippery rocks. 

The different landscapes were gorgeous, and the peace that surrounded us was incredible! Temperatures ranged from 37 degrees (during a sunrise hike where I froze my butt off) to 110 degrees of dry heat in Vegas. My favorite park was probably Grand Teton because the smell of evergreen was so strong, the sounds of the streams and birds were relaxing, and the beautiful sights were mesmerizing. I took hundreds of pictures and will post more on my IG/FB pages later, but here are a few pictures from our trip:

Vernal Fall at Yosemite National Park

Crooks Meadow with Yosemite Falls at Yosemite National Park

On top of Angel's Landing at Zion National Park

View from above Angel's Landing at Zion National Park

The Narrows at Zion National Park

Big Springs in the Narrows at Zion National Park

Bryce Point at Bryce Canyon National Park

Natural Bridge at Bryce Canyon National Park

Thor's Hammer at Bryce Canyon National Park

Bryce Canyon National Park

Delicate Arch at Arches National Park

Double Arch at Arches National Park

Grand Teton/Jenny Lake at Grand Teton National Park

Hidden Falls at Grand Teton National Park

Cascade Canyon Trail at Grand Teton National Park (my son)

Sunrise at Schwabacher Landing at Grand Teton National Park

Leigh Lake at Grand Teton National Park

Geothermal Pool at Yellowstone National Park

River at Yellowstone National Park

I missed a lot of poetry challenges while I was gone. I detached from social media and technology as much as I could during this trip, so this is my first poetry challenge in a while. Colleen invites us at #TankaTuesday to write a bussokuseki, which is a tanka poem with an extra line of seven syllables at the end. I've chosen to write about my experiences in the national parks.


Natural Beauty

rich evergreen smells
permeate the summer breeze
thunderous falls roar
still lakes mirror grand mountains
huge rock forms create wonder
our world is so beautiful


Would you like to write a poem for this prompt? Join us here.

17 comments:

  1. So happy to see you had a great time Yvette - stunning photos 🤩 and your poem feels like a deep breath taken right at the edge of one of those glorious mountains 🙌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ange! I took many deep breaths during our hikes. The fresh smell of nature was just so beautiful, especially the evergreens! I already miss it. Lol! Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh my, I envy your journey. It sounds miraculous! Your photos are beautiful, Yvette, and your poem -- exquisite. Welcome back! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure! ! Thankyou for sharing your photos. Pleased you had such a good holiday, Wekcome back !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rall! We definitely enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  4. What an amazing adventure you had, Yvi! I loved the photos and your description of the hikes you went on sounded a bit terrifying! I'm so happy to see you back. Big hugs! 🤗 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colleen! They weren't really scary, but some of them were definitely difficult. Lol! :-)

      Delete
  5. Our world is so beautiful. May we never forget; May the knowledge of this be reason enough for us to go on. This is why we fight for Earth. Such lovely photos. Thanks for sharing Yvette. Bless you. Xo, Selma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Selma! I wish everyone had the opportunity to see more of our beautiful world. Maybe then they would care for it better. Thanks for stopping by, Selma! :-)

      Delete
  6. A poem full of sensual life experience. I note your smiles and you still have your feet - 85 miles is not a small distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did a LOT of hiking! Lol! My feet were blistered and bruised by the end, but it was all worth it. I love being surrounded by nature. It truly resets the soul. Thanks for stopping by, Paul! :-)

      Delete
  7. Such an adventurous and beautiful trip you had! The views in the pictures are amazing. The world is a beautiful place when we take time to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, O'Nika! Our world is beautiful, and we should find the time to bask in its beauty. Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  8. Amazing. Didn't the Arch break and get a repair... Oh I didn't realize there were several. 'The two most notable arches to collapse in Arches National Park are Wall Arch (which fell in August 2008) and Rainbow Arch (which fell during the winter of 2018)' I think one of the arches that fell was on the state quarter - I looked it up the arch in your photo 'Delicate Arch' is on the Utah state quarter :)
    There is another state quarter that had a monument on it that collapsed - Oh... "The 2000 New Hampshire State Quarter featured the Old Man of the Mountain, a famous natural granite profile in Franconia Notch. The iconic rock landmark fell apart and collapsed into rubble on May 3, 2003, three years after the coin was released." Which is why it is a valuable memento for those who live in New Hampshire.

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea, Jules! They are natural structures, and it's amazing how much weight is balanced on such narrow parts, so I understand why some of them eventually collapse. Thanks for sharing that information and for visiting! :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)