Thursday, July 23, 2026

Arch Nemesis - #W3 #triolet #poem #poetry #poetrycommunity @YvetteMCalleiro


Hello, beautiful readers! Summer is in full swing in South Florida, and it is hot, hot, hot! I know there are parts of the world that do not have air-conditioning, but I cannot imagine enduring a South Florida summer without it. Even the ocean provides no reprieve as the temperature feels like bath water. Still, I'll take summer over winter any day. Lol!

Today, I'm participating in the Wea've Written Weekly (W3) Prompt #221. Selma invites us to write a triolet, which is a playful eight-line poem, eight syllables in each line, that uses a ABaAabAB rhyme scheme. The theme had to focus on summer and a "thought you cannot quite shake".

As much as I love summers, the one aspect I could do without is mosquitoes. I am highly allergic. I break out in welts and their bites stay with me for days, sometimes even past a week. And the bites itch incessantly! Unfortunately, I am a mosquito magnet. There can be one mosquito in a room of a thousand people, and it will bite me all night long. So, for this poem, I wrote about my arch nemesis. Lol!

(image courtesy of @francok35 on Pixabay)

Arch Nemesis

A tiny buzz beside my ear
Summer's most irritating pest
Skin begins to crawl, full of fear
A tiny buss beside my ear
I cringe whenever they are near
My skin won't ever get a rest
A tiny buzz beside my ear
Summer's most irritating pest


Would you like to write a poem for this prompt? Join us here.

1 comment:

  1. I HATE that high-pitched buzz! Just the thought of it makes me want to start swatting at the unseen tyrant. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)