Saturday, August 31, 2024

August Book Reviews #bookreview #books #amreading #readingcommunity #paranormal @KarensStories @YvetteMCalleiro

Hello, beautiful readers! School is back in session, so I am not reading as much as I could in the summer. Still, I managed to finish a great short story, so enjoy my review below.


Rustic Acres
by Karen Black

Genre: Fantasy Short Reads

Pages: 54 pages

Book Blurb:

Melonie is a witch with a problem. Golatch, the goblin king, cursed her with an ancient virus that substantially reduced her power. The only cure for the mystical disease is his death. But a three-hundred-year-old goblin will be hard to kill, especially with limited abilities.

When the goblin army invades Melonie's home in Rustic Acres, a telepathic cat and a wise old raven enter the battle to help her protect the little people who live there. But chaos erupts when an energetic pixie complicates the plan.

My Review:

This was such a fantastic short story. Melonie is a witch who angered the goblin king, Golatch, when she killed his brother. Golatch cursed her with a spell that stole her powers and then promised to return one day to kill her. When that day comes, the community of Rustic Acres vows to stand by her side and fight until the end so she won't fight alone.

This author does such a great job with mystical creatures and animals in her stories, and this one was no different. I really enjoyed the interaction between the various creatures and how they were willing to come together despite their differences or animosities toward one another. 

For a short story, the characters' personalities are well-developed and even bring out several laughs despite the dire circumstances. I especially love the fearless, little pixie, Kiki. This is a story both young and old can thoroughly enjoy.



Have you read any great stories recently? I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)