Wednesday, September 30, 2026

September 2026 Book Reviews #bookreview #books #amreading #readingcommunity #magic @YvetteMCalleiro

Hello, beautiful readers! School has begun, so my amount of time to read has withered, but I still find time to read when I can. Here are the reviews for this month:


Genre: Historical Fantasy

Pages: 300

Book Blurb:

A sordid scandal rocks the Glass household and threatens to ruin Matt's family unless he can suppress it. But after word gets out, and a rare magical coronet is stolen, he and India find themselves scrambling to recover the heirloom and suppress the gossip before reputations are ruined.

To make matters worse, someone is sending threatening letters to the magicians of London, stirring up trouble between the artless and magicians. Tensions are rising, but India and Matt choose not to investigate - until the author of the letters is assaulted.

As if they don't have enough on their plate, Willie is jailed. The reason for her arrest is…complicated.

My Review:

I am really enjoying this series. In this book, India and Matt are trying to find the thief of a magical coronet while maneuvering around entities who have ulterior motives. Willie is being elusive with the detective. Duke is finally getting some attention for himself. 

I like how each book slowly weaves its way through the mystery while revealing new information about subplots in between. The characters are enjoyable and well-flushed out, and I'm enjoying learning more about them. I look forward to reading the next book in the series. :-)



Genre: Poetry

Pages: 122

Book Blurb:

A book that explores grief, loss, healing and the strength it takes to begin again. Through heartfelt verses, the collection is a reminder that healing is possible even after life's heartbreaks. Smitha Vishwanath

My Review:

I really enjoyed this book of poetry. Smitha explores loss and grieving through beautiful verses in this book. Though she is expressing her own experiences of the death of loved ones and her healing journey, anyone who has lost a loved one can connect and relate to her words. The stages of grief are explored through her poems, each one described so hauntingly beautiful with her words. I think this would make a wonderful gift to someone who is grieving the loss of a loved one and may even help them on their healing journey.




Genre: 90-Minute Mystery, Thriller, & Suspense Short Reads

Pages: 63

Book Blurb:

Private investigator Rae Donovan’s relationship with her father is distant to the point of estrangement. But when she learns he’s dying in hospice, she drops everything to be at his side. By the time she arrives, he’s already too far gone to speak, and a doctor says his death is consistent with poisoning.

As she scours his isolated Adirondack home for clues, she discovers a hidden room filled with surveillance equipment, weapons, and a safe full of cash—maybe her father wasn’t the unassuming retiree she’d imagined. Rae must decide whether knowing the full truth about her family is worth the danger of tracking it down.


My Review:

This was a good short story. Rae's estranged father dies unexpectedly. When Rae goes to her childhood home to pack up his things, she discovers a side of him that she never knew existed. Unfortunately, his past puts her in danger. The story was written well. I easily connected with Rae through her inner dialogue and her process of grieving. The plot moved along at a great pace, and I liked the ending. If you are looking for a quick read that will keep you hooked, this one works! :-)



Have you read any great books this month? I'd love to hear from you. :-)

3 comments:

  1. These are all new authors to me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on their books, Yvette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reviews, Yvette :) I found one to add to my TBR list. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those short reads sound intriguing! I highly recommend a longer book: Aftertaste by Daria Lavelle. So good!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)