Hello, beautiful readers! I'm going off the grid today. My sister and I are going camping this weekend. I'm looking forward to detaching from technology and being one with nature. Before I leave, I wanted to participate in one more poetry challenge this week.
This challenge comes from Wea've Written Weekly (W3) Prompt #229. Matt Snyder invites us to explore the villanelle form while talking about our favorite beverage. I don't think I've ever used this form. It has five three-line stanzas followed by a four-line stanza. The first three stanzas have an ABA pattern while the last stanza has an ABAA pattern. The first stanza's first and third lines alternate as the closing lines of stanza's 2-5 and come back as the final two lines. So the pattern looks like this:
A1 b A2 / a b A1 / a b A2 / a b A1/ a b A2 / a b A1 A2
my tongue enjoys a fine, dry wine
though at times I enjoy the sweet
delectable fermented grapes of a vine
a glass or two when I go out to dine
is always a special treat
my tongue enjoys a fine, dry wine
an exhausting day is always a sign
to turn to my favorite retreat -
delectable fermented grapes of a vine
a bubbly is lovely at the shoreline
it takes the edge off the heat
my tongue enjoys a fine, dry wine
it's always nice when the stars align
when my friends and I drink when we meet
delectable fermented grapes of a vine
a glass of dark red takes me to cloud nine
when I relax and put up my feet
my tongue enjoys a fine, dry wine
delectable fermented grapes of a vine
Would you like to write a poem for this prompt? Join us here.

Yvette, I love red wine and I love your villanelle. It deeply resonated with me. ❤️
ReplyDelete