Hello, beautiful readers! This week is flying by, probably because I leave on Friday for a four-day camping trip with my sister. I cannot wait! We will be driving five hours north to camp. We chose a place close to our sons who are in college so they can come and visit us on the weekend. I cannot wait to wrap my arms around my son and my nephew (and their girlfriends...lol!).
Today begins National Hispanic Heritage Month, and as I come from Cuban roots, I wanted to celebrate my heritage. So, since I am the host at #TankaTuesday this week, I encouraged all poets to write about their heritage. The poems are amazing, so I hope you will go to the site and read them. For my poem, I decided to write a tanka prose.
(created with Bing Images)
American Bred, Cuban Roots
As an Army brat, I grew up on bases around the world. American pride was embedded in my upbringing. A smorgasbord of cultures blended together in each place we were stationed, I didn't really know much about my heritage. I knew my parents were Cuban, but those words were hollow. Sure, we listened to Spanish music, played dominoes, and ate rice, black beans, plantains, and churrasco, but I didn't truly understand my culture. When my dad retired and we moved to Miami, I was an Americanized teenager who wanted nothing to do with my Cuban roots. It wasn't until I had a son of my own that I realized how special my heritage is. Today, I embrace my Cuban American heritage, grateful for the beauty of both.
wide hips, thunder thighs
Latin rhythm with each sway
Cuban roots still hold
my ancestor's precious DNA
proudly connects me to home
Would you like to write a poem about your heritage? Join us here.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)