Sunday, October 20, 2024

#TankaTuesday #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #stopthehate #tanka #politicssuck @YvetteMCalleiro


Hello, beautiful readers! This week's #TankaTuesday Poetry Challenge was hosted by the beautiful poet, Selma. Our challenge this week was to write a tanka poem using synonyms for mindless and humdrum. A tanka poem contains five lines with a syllabic pattern of 5-7-5-7-7. The third line tends to be a pivot within the poem.

In America, we are just weeks away from electing a new president. Without getting too deep into the politics, I'll say it's been both stressful and saddening for me. Watching our news media and elected officials spin half-truths or complete lies and listening to elective officials and candidates pit American citizens against one another while spreading fear and hate has really weighed on my soul. So, when thinking of a poem to write this week, these two chosen words led me down this path. My two synonyms are bolded and italicized.


(courtesy of @johnhain on Pixabay)

vacuous darkness
fed by routine vitriol
crack of light enters
heart opens to brighter thoughts
compassion, acceptance reigns

Would you like to join the challenge? Click here.

11 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the election to be over. Beautiful poem and I'm with you. Let hearts open, compassion and acceptance reign. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana! I appreciate you connecting with me. :-)

      Delete
  2. Let it be so, Yve. Let it reign. Your tanka most beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing. Xo. Selma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you liked it, Selma! Thanks for the challenge. :-)

      Delete
  3. The tension is almost unbearable. Please let it be done without any drama at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where most of my anxiety stems from. PTSD from Jan 6. Here's to hoping it all happens peacefully. Thanks for visiting, Lisa! :-)

      Delete
  4. A sad state of affairs. But there is always light at the end.
    Poignant tanka, Yvette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jude! I'm hoping for lots of light. I appreciate you stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  5. I am simply not participating in any of the madness. Maybe that makes me a bad American, but I feel peace. You nailed it with your poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beauty of being American is you have the right to make that choice, though not choosing can still have consequences. I am happy you have peace with your decision, Jan. :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)