Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Author Spotlight - Shirley Harris-Slaughter #author #authorspotlight #meettheauthor #RRBC #communityactivist @sharrislaughter @YvetteMCalleiro

Hello, beautiful readers! Today, I have the pleasure of sharing a wonderful author with you all. Shirley Harris-Slaughter is a lifetime member of the Rave Review Book Club (RRBC). She is an amazing lady and a great author. I hope you enjoy getting to know her. Take it away, Shirley!

~~~

Yvette, thank you so much for hosting me on your blog page as a door prize winner in your author booth from the 9th Annual WC&BE24!  

Hello, everybody. Here is a little information about me as an author and as a community activist. I want to bring some attention to the activism side of me.

All of this is being brought to you through my affiliation with #RRBC, a virtual book club community of indie authors and readers.

ENJOY!



My author name is Shirley Harris-Slaughter (There is a special meaning behind “Harris". I produced a son in my first marriage to a Harris, and it is my family name on my mother’s side as well. The thought behind this was, if I became famous, Harris would be meaningful to me as it is my son’s namesake.)

I reside in Oak Park, MI, USA.

Here is my author bio:

Shirley Harris-Slaughter is the author of Our Lady of Victory, the Saga of an African-American Catholic Community, written to address a need to preserve catholic history from her perspective.

Crazy! Hot! And Living On The Edge!! -- written to share her story of health and healing, love and redemption. She hammers it home about never giving up the fight when the going gets rough and learning how to always improve yourself.

Slaughter mentored four freshman girls at the local middle school. She also found the time to try and save an iconic train station.

She obtained her BBA from Cleary University in Howell, Michigan, married her husband Langston, and is active in her Oak Park community.


Books and Titles:


“OUR LADY OF VICTORY:  THE SAGA OF AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN CATHOLIC COMMUNITY” Second Edition


“RONALD L. POWELL:  MISSING IN ACTION”


“CRAZY! HOT! AND LIVING ON THE EDGE!!” 


“NEWSPAPER CHRONICLES” 


She is also a contributor in …


“RAVE SOUP FOR THE WRITER’S SOUL Anthology, 2nd Edition” 


The Train Station project happened during my activist days. So, I want to draw renewed attention to this Detroit icon. It is just beautiful now, thanks to the Ford Family Foundation and I’m so happy.

“A CITIZEN’S GROUP IN ACTION:  SAVING A TRAIN STATION” 

BLURB:


Around 1992, this study was pulled together for one specific purpose – to save the Michigan Central Depot, a train station in downtown Detroit. After it was boarded up in the 1980s, I agonized about what was happening to the building as it descended into neglect and decay; with no hope of it ever rising to its former glory. I needed to form a plan and a way to do it. Attending a university afforded me that opportunity. I always loved trains even though there was never a chance for me to experience the thrill of it all growing up. My mother was pregnant with me when she traveled from California, all the way to Detroit, to be with my dad’s family while he was stationed in Guam during World War II. So I always thought that I was touched in the womb. There was no other way to explain this love affair with trains.

Fortunately, while group efforts failed so many times in the past, on June 11, 2018, the station was purchased by the Ford Motor Company. It has undergone a vast transformation into the beautiful building we have today.

Congratulations Detroit!








Hi!  I love to hear from you, so I’ve listed my contact and social media information below.

Email:  Sharrislaughter@gmail.com

Twitter:  @Sharrislaughter

Facebook:  sharrislaughter3

Website:  Remember Our Lady of Victory

Amazon Central

Shirley is an award winning author as well! Check out her book trailer here.

I appreciate you all visiting and getting to know Shirley. We would love to hear from you below. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Yvette, for hosting me on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Shirley. I'm happy to see you moving forward. I think I have everyone of your books. The first one that I ever purchased was Newspaper Chronicles. I admire your willingness to research deeply to iron out the kinks in your stories, and especially with the renovation that took place with the train station.
    Wishing you many happy years of writing. Keep up the good work.
    And thank you Yvette for featuring Shirley on your blog.
    Wishing you both a lovely weekend.
    Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and supporting Shirley, Pat! :-)

      Delete
    2. Nice to see you Pat. Thank you so much.

      Delete
    3. Hi Pat. You are always supportive and I am so happy to see you. Take care of yourself over there. Newspaper Chronicles came out of a 4WillsPub 90 Day writing contest. I always wanted to write a story about the Newspaper industry, and that was my chance.

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)