Friday, July 26, 2024

#TankaTuesday 24 Seasons Syllabic #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #seasonalKigo #Kigo #seasons #Taisho #summerdays @YvetteMCalleiro


Hello, beautiful readers! This week, we move into the Taisho season over at #TankaTuesday's 24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge. It's all about the sweltering heat, and those of us in the Northern Hemisphere are really feeling it, especially here in South Florida. Thank goodness for air conditioning!

It's been a busy week for me, and my summer vacation is quickly coming to an end, so for this week's challenge, I chose to write a haiku. My kigo words are bolded and italicized.

(courtesy of @PublicDomainPictures on Pixabay)

blazing sun at beach
eager to create sunburns
umbrellas thwart plan


Those of you who follow me know that I go to the beach almost every weekend. I rarely burn, but I always bathe myself in reef-safe sunblock. I also always sit under an umbrella. I get plenty of sun when I go swimming or when I walk the beach, but I know the importance of protecting my skin from the harmful rays. I see so many tourists leaving the beach looking like lobsters because they don't understand the intensity of the sun this close to the equator. It's so important to wear sunblock and reapply often.

Would you like to write a poem for this week? Join us here.

19 comments:

  1. I love this! Umbrellas are sadly difficult to find on British beaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easy to rent at my beach, but I always bring my own. Thanks for sharing, Kim! :-)

      Delete
  2. I love your Tanka Yevette it says do much in so few words 💜💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous, Yvi! I’m all about sunscreen, umbrellas, SPF long sleeve shirts, and anything else to protect the skin. I always enjoy seeing the beach through your eyes. 🏖️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colleen! Gone are the "lather yourself in baby oil" days. Lol! Now, I'm under the umbrella, with SPF and a hat. I definitely don't want skin cancer. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  4. The 2 times we've been to the beach this summer (once was today!) we go later in the evening. We got there around 6:30pm. The crowds were gone and the sun had no bite. Glad you have your umbrella to thwart the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our beaches close the parking lot around that time, so it's hard for people to come too late. Yesterday, I got to the beach at 11 am and stayed until 7 pm, so umbrellas are definitely a must. Thanks for sharing! :-)

      Delete
  5. Brrrr..I am so envious. We are having the coldest winter ever...icy blasts from the South Pole...Just as well I didn't give away all my winter gear...haven't needed it for years...Life Lesson...never trust the weather or anything really :)Enjoy your Summer....Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rall! I could never live in a place that needs winter gear. Lol! Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  6. Perfect spot and haiku :) I'm with you about sunscreen. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an absolute must! Thanks for stopping by, Denise! :-)

      Delete
  7. (Jules) Inddeed, always be safe in the mid-day sun - even on cloudy days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Jules. I've seen plenty of people burn on cloudy days.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful poem, Yvette. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well written, Yvette! I am careful too - When I walk around in Jerusalem, I always try to stick to the shade, and I usually take my walks in the mornings and/or evenings.

    Sincerely,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart choices, David! Glad you are taking precautions! Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  10. I love how you involved the umbrellas in your haiku.☺️

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)