Friday, May 31, 2024

May Book Reviews #bookreview #books #amreading #readingcommunity #memoir #Greece #GreekTravels @JourneysInPages @dlfinnauthor @YvetteMCalleiro

Hello, beautiful readers! I can officially say that I have finished writing Drake's story, The One Redeemed. It has taken WAY too many years to get to this point, but I'm here! Woohoo! If you would like to be a beta reader for me, please let me know. Any and all help is welcome! I've also finished writing a short story for the #RRBC 90-Day Alpha/Omega Short Story Contest. Now, I'm in the process of revising and editing both the novel and the short story. I've read a couple of books this month. Because of my upcoming travels to Greece, I started with a memoir by Sally Jane Smith. Read my reviews below!


by Sally Jane Smith

Genre:  Memoir

Pages: 256 pages

Book Blurb: 

When Sally sets out for Europe with her mother's 1978 travel diary in her pocket, she is searching for the wanderlust she lost in a devastating overseas road accident.

As she ventures into the heart of the Mediterranean - wandering volatile landscapes, exploring historical sties, pairing books with places and savouring the tastes of Greece - she finds it possible for a clumsy, out-of-shape woman on a budget to experience a life-changing journey.


In a story told with warmth, humour and a fascination with Greece's natural and cultural heritage, Sally connects with her past, overcomes her fears and falls in love with life again, one olive at a time.


Book One in the 'Packing for Greece' series travels to Athens and Meteora on the mainland; Monemvasia, Sparta and Methana on the Peloponnese Peninsual; and the islands of Santorinia nd Rhodes.

My Review: 

Since I will be traveling to Greece this summer, I thought it would be fun to read a memoir of an author who has made such a travel. I am not a big memoir reader, but I really enjoyed this one. It starts off with the author sharing a horrible accident that took place on one of her trips, leaving with her with a fear of traveling. Did I mention that she travels solo? I have a friend who travels this way and has incredible experiences. I am in awe of her and this author's ability to brave a foreign place on their own.

I love that the author didn't stick to all the touristy spots. She was able to bring the culture and the beauty of each area to life with her descriptions and her interactions with the locals and other travelers. She wrote so that I felt as if I were walking beside her and experiencing her journey with her. Throughout the novel, she confronts past memories, overcomes obstacles, and manages hiccups in her travels with humility and humor. 

If you enjoy reading memoirs or simply want to travel vicariously to Greece, I would definitely recommend this story.



The Destination (Harbor Pointe Series, Book 3)
by D.L. Finn

Genre:  Historical Fiction, Metaphysical & Visionary Fiction

Pages: 64 pages

Blurb:

The Harbor Pointe Inn has loomed on California's cliffs for generations of Hawthornes. For some, it's been a blessing. For others, a curse. Travel through two centuries of stories to discover the old inn's secrets.

It's 1967, and best friends Lacey and Sandy are enjoying a beach vacation, completely unaware of the danger that is lying in wait outside their door. Their room is quaint, with an amazing view of the Pacific Ocean and an old lighthouse, but a killer is stalking their next victim. Powerless, Annie the ghost watches, knowing there's nothing she can do to help - no even her parents, the innkeepers. Who will survive their stay at the Harbor Pointe Inn, where the edge of evil lurks within the shadows?

My Review:

I've read many books by DL Finn and have enjoyed them all. Although this book technically doesn't have an evildwel in it from her Angels & Evildwels series, it still had an evil entity lurking about. This was another great addition to the Harbor Pointe series. I love how each book is written by a different author, but they are all connect by this location.

Lacey and Sandy are on a girls trip. Lacey has ulterior motives as she wants her best friend to leave her old life behind and pursue the life she's always dreamed of. Sandy is adamant that she has a role to fulfill and her dreams are unimportant until a tragic event pushes her to change course and follow her dreams.

I loved the friendship Lacey and Sandy had. Although it was a short story, the author did a great job in building the bond between these two ladies. I also loved that Annie the ghost and the caretakers were incorporated into this story from the previous book.  It helped gel the series together. I also liked how the author connected a little bit of real history into the story.

This was a great short read. Author DL Finn never disappoints. If you like stories with a historical feel with a bit of a ghostly spin on it, then you'll love this story.


That's it for this month! Have you read either of these books? I'd love to hear from you below.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Sally and Denise on these great reviews! Greece is such a fascinating place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about going to see it in person. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the new book Yvette and please let me know when available on Amazon so I can do a spotlight for you. And terrific reviews and I enjoyed both these books too. Sally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sally! I appreciate all your support in highlighting my books. I will definitely let you know when they are available. :-)

      Delete
  3. Great reviews and recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate you visiting. :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)