Sunday, August 20, 2023

#TankaTuesday Weekly #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #photoprompt #sunflowers @ColleenChesebro @YvetteMCalleiro


Hello, beautiful readers! It's been a busy couple of weeks for me as I prepared for the beginning of school and then started the new school year. My first two days were exhausting but great. I have a feeling it's going to be a wonderful school year. 

My son's first football game of the season was this past Friday. He played extremely well. He had four carries for 62 yards, two touchdowns, one two-point conversion, and a forced fumble! I know this has nothing to do with this prompt, but proud mama has to share. πŸ˜‰

I missed last week's prompt because every day was nonstop, and here it is now Sunday, and I'm just creating a moment to get this week's #TankaTuesday Weekly Poetry Challenge prompt done. This week, Colleen Chesebro challenged us to write a poem based on this beautiful picture from Terri Webster Schrandt

For as long as I can remember, the sunflower has been my favorite flower. Yellow and green are my favorite colors, and a sunflower has both of them. In my younger years, I battled with depression a few times, and sunflowers became my reminder to always follow the light. So, there was no way I was going to let this week pass without writing a poem. (Plus, did you know that sunflower seeds are extremely healthy for you? They reduce inflammation, improve heart health, support the immune system, and boost your energy levels.)

I chose to write a reverse cinquain. This form reverses the order of an American cinquain, making the lines follow a syllabic pattern of 2-8-6-4-2. In a traditional American cinquain, the words should create drama that builds into the fourth line with the pivot happening on line five. I decided to reverse that as well and put the drama in line two. So, I'm bending some rules. Cinquains must always have a title.


Survivor

flower
folds protectively in darkness
draws its strength from the sun
stands tall and strong
fearless

What is your favorite flower and why? I'd love to hear from you below.

There is still time to write a poem of your own. Join us here.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, that's so pretty, Yvette! Wonderful. How old is your son? He must be an amazing athlete! I hope you have a wonderful school year :)!!!!
    P.S. My favorite flower is the peony, which I never get to see because we don't have them in Arizona. I also lilacs, and we don't get those either. And morning glories and columbines, and we don't get those! But we have many other flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment, Luanne. My son is a senior this year. He's a great athlete, and I love watching him play. Those are all beautiful flowers. Arizona's heat would never let them last, but you are right - there are some great flowers that do grow there. I hope the weather isn't too bad with Tropical Storm Hilary hitting you all. It's crazy even saying that - a tropical storm in Arizona! Stay safe! :-)

      Delete
  2. Fearless flowers! What a thought! Indeed the sunflowers fit your description. I love all the flowers. Can you ever look at a flower and say - this is not beautiful? πŸ˜€πŸŒΊπŸŒΊ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right, Balroop! Even weeds have their beauty. Thanks for visiting and sharing! :-)

      Delete
  3. A big congrats to your son, Yvette!! And you should be a proud mama. :) Love the cinquain and the strength and tenacity you expressed about the Sunflower. My favorite flower is the rose and it all goes back to my late husband and how he always gave me roses, grew roses, and created hybrid roses. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roses are beautiful! My son gave me a rose two weeks ago, and it bloomed so beautifully. It's still alive. I've never been a fan of big bouquets, but one rose, one flower, given from the heart is precious to me. Thanks for sharing, Jan! :-)

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Colleen! I appreciate your kind words and your acceptance of my presence when I can make it. I'm trying to be better about using LinkedIn. There is a sunflower by my white board, and a pretend sunflower on my desk. My students know I love sunflowers, so one year, one of them gave me a gift of a tea mug bristle brush cleaner in what they thought was a sunflower (it's a daisy, but I keep pretending because it's the thought that counts). I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your school year prep is going well. Your son sounds like a very good football player! I enjoyed your reverse cinquain. My favorite flower is the peony, for its early pushing through spring soil, the lovely foliage, the gorgeous blossoms, and the gingery smell of them. Also how they turn so pretty yellow in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea peonies smelled like ginger. That's very cool! They are very pretty. Thanks for visiting and sharing, Lisa! :-)

      Delete
  6. This is so utterly lovely, Yvette!

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, David! I appreciate you saying so. :-)

      Delete
  7. Lovely poem, Yvette! I love sunflowers too, along with any kind of daisy. They're so cheerful. Have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren! Yes, I find sunflowers and daisies to be quite cheerful. Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  8. One of my favorite flowers too, Yvette. I hope the school year is going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The school year is going great! I feel such a wonderful energy with this year's students. Thanks for visiting and for the well wishes, Mark! :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)