Friday, March 31, 2023

March Book Reviews #bookreview #books #readingcommunity #RRBC @NonnieJules @KarensStories @maurabeth2014 @RRBC_Org #PIF

Hello, beautiful readers! I have not had much time to read this month. Every day has been packed from sunrise until way past sunset. Still, I managed to read a couple of books I want to share with you. If you like what you read, click on the book cover or the title to get your own copy!


by Maura Beth Brennan

Genre: Literary Short Stories, Women's Literary Fiction

Pages: 24

Book Blurb:

Warren's young wife, Iris, walked into a blizzard and didn't come back. His journey to find her took him halfway across the country, to truths he hadn't been able to face. Because sometimes there is no way to find what you're looking for. Sometimes all you can find is yourself. 

My Review:

This was a fantastic short story filled with heartache, forgiveness, and resolve. Warren marries a woman much younger than he is and believes it's real love. When she disappears during a blizzard, he sets out to find her. His discovery leads him to reexamine their marriage and make some tough decisions.

I love how the author created this story. Her characters were rich in personality, and my heart immediately felt for Warren and his plight. The pace of the plot was perfect, especially for a short story. I'm pretty good at figuring out endings before I get to them, but this story pulled a fast (but believable) one on me. And the amount of growth the author gave to Warren in such few pages is incredible!

I would definitely recommend this story to those who enjoy heartfelt stories but don't necessary need the happily ever after. :-)



By Karen Black

Genre: Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Short Reads, Short Story

Pages: 63

Book Blurb:

A homicide has eerily similar circumstances to a murder that occurred months prior. When detectives find that the current victim is the third who died in an identical manner, the evidence points to a serial killer, and the method of murder suggests that the assassin has medical knowledge.

Torn between his belief in the law and the demand for justice, lead homicide detective, Devon Mahoney, must decide which is of more value. When the legal system fails, should justice be ignored? If a murderer is killed, is the executioner a criminal or a hero?

My Review:

This story started off with a female serial killer seducing her victim before killing him. From that moment on, I was hooked!  Then, we find out that the focus is split between Devon Mahoney, the detective on the case, and the serial killer. As the readers learns the connection between the two characters, things get even more interesting. 

I have read many stories by this author, and this is one of my favorites. The descriptions of the murder scenes are so vivid (but not grotesque, at least not to me). The character arcs and their points of view are incredibly created. The choice made at the end was understandable but also held a bit of a shock factor in that it showed where loyalties lie (not giving anything away).

If you like stories with a twist, you will love this story!



by Nonnie Jules

Genre: Motivational Growth & Spirituality, Self-Esteem Self-Help

Pages: 108

Book Blurb:

The search for inspiration is common to most people who long for words, images and deeds, which will uplift them from their daily cares, worries and routines. They seek out that which is fresh and admirable and can be applied to their own lives. Inspiration is a highly prized commodity because it enriches our lives in ways that material acquisitions cannot. ~Author, John Fioravanti

In 
UNTITLED: THE QUOTES DIARY - "Life In Quotes," you will find a plethora of wisdom that you can apply to any and all areas of this journey we call life. The quotes are uplifting, inspirational, motivational, funny, and some are even sassy, because let's face it, there are times in our lives when we need to shell out doses of those anecdotes, too.

If you know her, you know that Author, Nonnie Jules never pulls any punches. She gives it to you straight with no chasers. She calls it like she sees it, and what you'll get between the covers of this treat, will be no different. In fact, you'll get more!

Ever found yourself at a loss for words just when you needed to stand up for yourself? Keep 
UNTITLED: THE QUOTES DIARY - "Life In Quotes" in your back pocket... and you'll never be faced with that problem again.

My Review:

This is not my typical read, but I do love quotes. Once upon a time, I used to place a quote on my board as a bell ringer for my students to interpret at the beginning of class. Unfortunately, our pacing guides no longer allow such free thinking. The author breaks this book into themes and shares quotes she has created on each subject.

Knowing this author well, I know that every quote is authentically how she feels, and she holds nothing back. There are some funny/sassy quotes, and there are others that make you pause and take some time to absorb the message/lesson behind them. There are over 200 quotes in this book. I read through the whole book so I could write this review, but I will be revisiting it from time to time to sit with a few of my favorite quotes.

If you enjoy quotes or reading statements that make you think and reflect, then this is a must buy for you. :-)


Have you read any of these books? I'd love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. Great reviews, Yvette! They sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great reads! Thanks for stopping by, Luanne! :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)