Wednesday, March 1, 2023

January/February Book Reviews #bookreview #books #readingcommunity @YvetteMCalleiro @Dwallacepeach @pat_garcia @sharrislaughter @AuthorWFischer @KarensStories

Hello, beautiful readers! As we wrap up February and being my birthday month, I am going to try to post monthly about fabulous books I've read. I don't have much time to read in my busy life, but I have been able to finish a few fantastic stories, so I wanted to share them with you. All of these are either 4 or 5 stars. If they sound interesting to you, click on the book cover or the title. 



Genre: Fantasy, Sorcery, Epic Fantasy

Pages: 348

Book Blurb:

A healer with the talent to unravel death. A stillborn child brought to life. A father lusting for vengeance. And a son torn between justice, faith, and love. Caught in a chase spanning kingdoms, each must decide the nature of good and evil, the lengths they will go to survive, and what they are willing to lose.

A healer and dabbler in the dark arts of life and death, Barus is as gnarled as an ancient tree. Forgotten in the chaos of the dying queen’s chamber, he spirits away her stillborn infant and in a hovel at the meadow’s edge, breathes life into the wisp of a child. He names her Aster for the lea’s white flowers. Raised as his daughter, she, too, learns to heal death.

Denied a living heir, the widowed king spies from a distance. But he heeds the claims of the fiery Vicar of the Red Order—in the eyes of the Blessed One, Aster is an abomination, and to embrace the evil of resurrection will doom his rule.

As the king’s life nears its end, he defies the vicar’s warning and summons the necromancer’s daughter. For his boldness, he falls to an assassin’s blade. Armed with righteousness and iron-clad conviction, the Order’s brothers ride into the leas to cleanse the land of evil.

To save her father’s life, Aster leads them beyond Verdane’s wall into the Forest of Silvern Cats, a wilderness of dragons and barbarian tribes. Unprepared for a world rife with danger and unchecked power, a world divided by those who practice magic and those who hunt them, she must choose whether to trust the one man offering her aid, the one man most likely to betray her—her enemy’s son.

My Review:

It took me a long time to finish this book because I barely had time to read, and it frustrated me to no end because it was SO good! I had such a hard time putting it down once I started reading again. From the very beginning, I was hooked. A partially crippled necromancer steals the king's baby to bring it to life and raise it as his own... what could possibly go wrong? Lol!

Every character was rich and unique. Every setting jumped off the pages. The plot started strong and then slowed down to allow me to become invested in the characters, which I LOVED! Then, it heated right back up again. And then, the author added dragons! If I didn't love it enough already, the connection between Aster and the dragons made me a lifelong fan!

I loved that Aster's journey was difficult. I loved that Joreh struggled with his ideas of right versus wrong. I loved that Barus struggled with his choices but listened to his heart. I loved that Teko was more than he seemed upon first impression. And I loved how the author made Tamus both the image of piety and evil.

I cannot say enough great things about this book! I will definitely read more from this author, and I highly recommend you pick up this story immediately. 😊




Genre: Romance, Multicultural Romance, Short Story

Pages: 16

Book Blurb:

This is a contemporary multicultural romance about a woman who encounters a sexually starved necrophiliac as she walks up a mountainside. As she yearns for death, a stranger bursts into the cabin and saves her and becomes the love of her life. 

My Review:

This micro-read was another fabulous story by Pat Garcia! It amazes me how she can put so much into such a short read, but she did. The story starts with Janie reminiscing on being kidnapped. The author gives us just the right amount of details to make us feel her despair. And then, her savior, Paolo, comes and rescues her. The story focuses on her road to healing. 

The author did a wonderful job in describing this healing journey and Janie's hesitancy to take that final step to heal. The author's characters are always so rich, and Janie and Paolo definitely fit that description. I would have loved to have a bit more to the story because I loved the characters so much, but then it wouldn't have been a micro-read.

If you don't have a lot of time to read, but you want to immerse yourself in a great story, I would recommend this one!😊



Genre: Biography, Memoir, Short Read

Pages: 56

Book Blurb:

Mama could tell a joke. Next thing you know, you are rolling on the floor from one of them. She loved to play the lottery and was religious with it. If you fail to buy her tickets when she asks you, she will tell you that was the winning number … “If you had done what I asked you, I could have won.” It was classic!

She was just as passionate about her faith and could quote passages from the bible all day long, which she did. She was a good mother and made huge sacrifices for her children.

She was the woman who wanted to be an actress but never got the chance. She was the woman who worked at a naval air base in Alameda County, California, screwing riveters in wings of airplanes. They were called "Rosie the Riveter" in World War II. She was the constant in our lives.

This is how I remember my mama!

My Review:

What a beautiful tribute this author has created to her mother! Wanting to honor her memory, the author collected various written works from her mother and created a short story about her mother's life, including authentic writing from her mom, some of which was published in various contests. The love and admiration the author feels for her mother shines through this wonderful short read. I definitely recommend it. 😊



Genre: Short Story, Children's Short Story

Pages: 16

Book Blurb:

Time: The early 1960s. Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour is on the road, seeking contestants for the show. A seventh-grader thinks she has what it takes to make the show. She's been singing since she was two years old. She's never had any formal training. She begs her father to take her to the auditions. What will she find when she gets there?

My Review:

I really enjoyed this micro read. It's a story set in the 1960s when a girl musters up the courage to try out for a talent show. She has a great voice but is nervous about not being good enough. Her loving dad encourages her to try anyway. In doing so, she learns a valuable lesson and makes a friend in the process.

This story was a great read, and the author did a wonderful job pulling the reader in immediately. Though there was a distinct message of the haves and have nots, I felt the author's focus on the positive attitude of Jean was heartwarming. I won't give away what happens, but Jean's outlook on this experience, and life in general, is a wonderful lesson for all kids. If you're looking for a quick, endearing read, I would definitely recommend this story.😊



For Eternity: A Micro Read by Karen Black

Genre: Fantasy, Short Read, Paranormal

Pages: 17

Book Blurb:

Monique is a witch, a reclusive one. After losing Lucius, her companion of almost a century, she associates with nobody but a raven named Dante. When she receives an invitation to celebrate her 700th birthday, however, Dante convinces her it's a celebration that she shouldn't miss. For her first outing in fifty years, Monique travels to an enchanted hotel, where a telepathic kitten points her in a new direction.

My Review:

This was a fantastic read even if it is short. The author did a fabulous job weaving so much into so little space. I don't want to give too much away because it's a micro read. The story focuses on Monique, a reclusive witch who is celebrating her 700th birthday even though a part of her doesn't feel like celebrating. The author creates this character so perfectly that it's easy to feel sad for her, even when she ponders killing a goblin or two. 😉 I loved how this story ended and wouldn't mind reading an entire novel in the world she created. I definitely recommend this story. 😊

I hope you enjoyed these reviews. I look forward to sharing more with you at the end of this month.

Have you read any of these stories? I'd love to hear from you. 😊

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Diana, Pat, Shirley, Wanda, and Karen! These are excellent reviews! Thank you for the recommendations, Yvette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your review, Yvette. That was a wonderful surprise and I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. I'm doing a happy dance. I recognize some of the other authors here with excellent reviews. Congrats to all. Hugs. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely LOVED your story, Diana! I will definitely be reading some of your others stories soon. :-)

      Delete
  3. Excellent reviews, Yvette. Out of all of these, I've only read The Necromancer's Daughter and loved it! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on each and congrats to the authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for adding your recommendation for Diana's story, Jan! It was such a great book. :-)

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Yvette, for sharing your wonderful reviews. I loved The Necromancer's Daughter and highly recommend it. I've yet to read the short stories, but they all sound marvelous. Congratulations to each of the writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding your thoughts on Diana's story, Gwen. It truly was fantastic! :-)

      Delete
  5. Terrific review of Diana's book, Yvette. I enjoyed it as well. Congratulations to Diana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! I appreciate you stopping by and adding your recommendation. :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Yvette,
    Thank you! I woke up this morning and on my notifications was your book review article. I was very happy to see and read your viewpoint about Janie B, I truly appreciate your reading it and your honest opinion.
    Take care.
    Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure, Pat! I enjoy your stories and hope more readers will read them. :-)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful reviews. Congratulations to all the authors. Thanks for sharing, Yvi. Hugs, Harmony 💕🙂

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful reviews, Yvette. My best to all the authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Staci! I appreciate you stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  9. Great reviews, Yvette. I've read Diana's book and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you adding your recommendation for Diana's book, Joan! Thank you! :-)

      Delete
  10. Great reviews, Yvette :) I loved The Necromancer's Daughter too. I had to add to my reading list! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent reviews, Yvette! I'm excited to read them all, especially The Necromancer's Daughter. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great story, Linda! I'm sure you will love it. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)