Thursday, December 21, 2023

#TankaTuesday Weekly #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #seasonalKigo #Kigo #seasons #Touji #WinterSolstice #Yule @YvetteMCalleiro

Hello, beautiful readers! Happy Winter Solstice! Colleen Chesebro at TankaTuesday.com wrote a beautiful post about Yule here, and it inspired me to write this week's 24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge about today.

This week's challenge is part one of Winter Solstice, or Touji. It focuses on the holidays and spending time with your loved ones. It's the longest night of the year and is a time to focus on endings and beginnings. It also brings about hope since longer days will slowly return after tonight. I, for one, am looking forward to more sunlight in my waking hours.

I decided to write a mirror cinquain. This consists of two 5-line stanzas that have an American cinquain followed by a reverse cinquain (2-4-6-8-2-2-8-6-4-2). I've used an abundance of kigo phrases in this poem because the season just warrants it.

(courtesy of @Foundry on Pixabay)

Promising Passage

darkness
winter solstice
shortest days, longest nights
whirlwind of hustle and bustle
need peace
oh, Yule!
time to rest and rejuvenate
new positive outlook
mindful balance
rise, sun!

Are you feeling the stress of the holidays, or have you found your Zen this season? I'd love to hear from you.

Are you inspired to write your own poem? Join us here!

18 comments:

  1. (from Jules)

    Yvette, how wonderful to hear from you and to congratulate you on your successes. My 'holiday' has come and gone... though I will be doing some frozen drop cookie baking to share the with a relative soon. I will be destressing by heading out of town, warm weather and not having to cook... maybe take in a show?

    Though I've scheduled posts for when I'll be away - I might have some conductivity and sprinkle some other posts inbetween. There is never enough time to read everyone who posts to my favorite prompts. I've even cut down on the prompts I post to. I do my best to visit those who have stopped by my place.

    Wishing you and yours peace, health and joy. May our New Years be filled with love. (((Hugs))) Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Jules! I, too, have had to step away from commenting on all the posts I visit. I still visit and share, but it's been difficult to find time to sit and read/write. Yesterday, I had a bit of time, so I took advantage of it.

      I hope you have a wonderful getaway. Enjoy the warm weather. I know I prefer it over the cold. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love your mirror cinquain, Yvette. You've definitely captured the season - and the hopes. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. After all of the hustle and bustle up until new year, it's a good thing it gets quiet. You're right, it gives us time to reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely job, getting all those kigos in there and creating mood as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Solstice and Merry Christmas blessings to you, Yvi. I loved how you used all the kigo words in your mirror cinquain! It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colleen! Merry Christmas to you as well! :-)

      Delete
  6. Yes to peace!! (Ruth Scribbles)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thanks for visiting and commenting, Ruth! :-)

      Delete
  7. Mindful balance is so important - perfect choice of form with your words 💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne! I'm happy you enjoyed my poem. :-)

      Delete
  8. Excellent cinquain! I hope your holidays are going well. Looking forward to more daylight from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I, Mark! I can't imagine living up north where there is even less daylight. Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  9. Love your message of rest and rejuvenation.❤️

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)