Thursday, March 14, 2024

#TankaTuesday 24 Seasons Syllabic #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #seasonalKigo #Kigo #seasons #Keichitsu #Etheree #StPatricksDay #Spring @YvetteMCalleiro

Hello, beautiful readers! For this week's 24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge, we are still in the season of Keichitsu, or Wintering Insects Awake. It is also the week of St. Patrick's Day. So, I did a little digging about St. Patty's Day.

Did you know most Christian holidays overlap a Pagan holiday once celebrated? St. Patrick's Day is no different. And yet, the holy celebration of St. Patty's Day has lost its power as it's now become a festival celebrating Irish pride, good fortune, and an excuse to drink, especially any green concoction a bar can create.

So, to honor this shift in the holiday, I decided to write a double Etheree. A double Etheree is a poem with twenty lines with a syllabic pattern of 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. My kigo words are bolded and italicized.

(courtesy of @MissyWhimsyArt on Pixabay)

Evolving Traditions

a
Pagan
holiday
Ostara brings
the Spring Equinox
to celebrate new life
a saint changes holiday
claims the shamrock symbolizes
the Father, the Son, Holy Spirit
three leaves with one stem to unite them all
while Ireland celebrates its patron saint
American Irish celebrate
remnants of Irish heritage
mixed with folklore, fairy tales
leprechauns, pots of gold
and drunken parties
let's awaken
Ostara
again
now

How do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day? I'd love to hear from you.

Would you like to write a poem? Join us here.

24 comments:

  1. Liked your double etheree. Down Under St. Pats Day is celebrated. A lot of the original colonial transported convicts were Irish so it is part of our history...Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very cool, Rall! I think I remember reading one day about Australia being used as a dumping ground for convicts. Such a colorful history! :-)

      Delete
  2. We don't celebrate it in India, so the poem is both creative and informative for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Reena! I'm glad I could give you a little more information about the holiday. :-)

      Delete
  3. I love your double etheree and to bring in Ostara (I had to look this up) I love to learn something new 💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Suzanne! I'm happy to bring you more insight. :-)

      Delete
  4. I love your Etheree you take us full circle 💜....I believe all Christian holy days are set on or around pagan days.... In early history it was common place for on one religion to supercede another. Paganism is still around. Of course the latest thing is money making unfortunately a lot of money is to made out of holy/ holiday days now, just look at, Valentine's,Easter, Christmas,and of course the days the card companies love to promote, Mother's Day, Father's day... It's all down to Mamon now.💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Willow! It was religion's way of forcing the places they conquered to forget old ways with future generations, but the old/original ways never died. They are still celebrated today among many. And businesses love to profit from all of it. Lol! Thanks for visiting and sharing today. :-)

      Delete
  5. I agree with your wish Yvette. I just heard on the radio that a local church is celebrating an alcohol-free St Patrick's Day that is child friendly. That's a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, Kerfe. It would be nice to get back to celebrating nature with a little bit of folklore mixed in for fun. Thanks for sharing and visiting today. :-)

      Delete
  6. Love the background and information you weaved into the poem, Yvette! Happy St. Patty's Day. We have corned beef and cabbage here. Maybe some tossed coins along the Magical Trail from our Leprechaun, for the younger grandkids if they visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great way to celebrate, Denise! Thanks for sharing and visiting. :-)

      Delete
  7. Hi, Yvette,
    I'm all for changing the celebration of St. Patrick and bringing it back to Ostara. In these days and times, we need unity. Your poem is an excellent piece of work.
    Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Pat! We definitely need more unity. Thanks for visiting and commenting. :-)

      Delete
  8. (Jules) I didn't even wear green yesterday. Not my heritage or holiday.
    Spring is a good awakening. But then any and everyday we wake is a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely, Jules! Every day should include celebration of life. Thanks for sharing! :-)

      Delete
  9. Yvette, I love how you artfully weave together the themes of tradition, folklore, and cultural celebration. You've offered us a very thought-provoking reflection on the intersections of belief and heritage. So well written, truly...

    Sincerely,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, David! I truly appreciate your compliment. :-)

      Delete
  10. Yvi, I love this so much. I'm sorry I got so far behind in the comments. Your double Etheree is fabulous. I love the myths and lore you added to your poem. 🍀🐇

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate you stopping by and sharing your thoughts. :-)

      Delete
  11. I love your double Etheree and message. Let’s do the holiday the way it’s meant to. Xo, Selma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Yvette, this is very interesting I didn't know that the shamrock was supposed to represent the Holy Trinity and I was raised Catholic. We call these plants clovers here. Robbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that quite interesting myself. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Robbie! :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)