Saturday, March 2, 2024

#TankaTuesday 24 Seasons Syllabic #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #seasonalKigo #Kigo #seasons #Usui #AmericanCinquain #Snowdrops #LeapYear @YvetteMCalleiro


Hello, beautiful readers! This week has been a bit of an emotional drain for me. So many of our youth are struggling emotionally and mentally, and I've been bombarded with some rough moments this week. It breaks my heart to see teenagers who are overwhelmed with stress and are considering destructive decisions. If you have children, please create an open line of communication. Please create an atmosphere of unconditional love and acceptance, and let them know you will always be there to help them through whatever they are going through. Do not dismiss their angst. The youth of today are hurting, and they need to be seen and heard...and helped.

Okay, now that I've released that, let's shift our energies to light and beauty. For this week's 24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge, Colleen Chesebro has encouraged us to use three kigo phrases:

early spring [insert flowers]
lingering snow
leap day

Though part of the challenge was to write three different poems, I only had the time and energy for one. I chose to write an American cinquain which is a five-line poem with a syllabic pattern of 2-4-6-8-2. It is untitled, and line five tends to be the pivot point, though I feel as if line four is more of the switch in this poem.

(courtesy of @Terranaut on Pixabay)

leap year
magical switch
dispense lingering cold
smell fragrant early spring snowdrops
sublime

Are you seeing signs of Spring where you live? I'd love to hear about it.

Would you like to write a poem with these three kigo phrases? Join us here.

20 comments:

  1. I find the last line magical, just asit should be 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Reena! I'm happy you like it. Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  2. Yvi, I'm so sorry to hear about the kids who are having such a hard time. Our world is so fraught right now. Your poem made me think about how spring is a rebirth for nature. There are tulips coming up in our neighborhood! 🌸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't see tulips growing down here. I bet they are a pretty sight to see. Thanks for sharing the image with me, Colleen. You made me smile. :-)

      Delete
  3. I worry for our youth as well, Yvi. Many cannot see a future and are self-destructive. It's heartbreaking. The students are blessed to have you as their mom away from home and as a voice of hope. Your poem is lovely and speaks to that hope. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Gwen! I do my best to be a beacon of hope for my students. Their struggles are real, and some of them are going through some really heavy experiences. Teachers do so much more than just teach. It can be draining at times, but we do it because we know that, sometimes, we are the only positive influence in that child's life. :'( Thanks for your kind words, Gwen. I truly appreciate them. :-)

      Delete
  4. Teachers’ roles have changed too. I’m always glad to hear from teachers like you who care deeply. Our young people are feeling derailed. It’s a given. So much happening in this lifetime. We must strive to keep the lines of communication and hope open—for them for our future
    Thanks for clueing me in on this struggle you’re faced with right now. I’ll be praying for teachers too.
    Your poem—I love it. I’d say it’s perfect as it is. Great job. Yvie xoxo, Selma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Selma, for your prayers. I often wish for a simpler life for our kids, but there isn't any going back to BI (before Internet), so we must help them learn to navigate the world they have. I appreciate you visiting. :-)

      Delete
  5. I can only imagine what teenagers are going through today. They are not only competing with those closest to them but the competition is now global because of the changing world and exposure. They want to do what teens in other places on Instagram are doing. Social media became a big thing when I was just getting done with my teens so I can only imagine what it’s like for those who have grown up with it.
    I loved your cinquain tooπŸ’šπŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Jude. Social media has warped their lives and their perspectives on reality. It breaks my heart. Thank you for sharing! :-)

      Delete
  6. Yvette, 100% agree with your advice about the teens. The more "obnoxious" and challenging they are, the more they need their parents.

    About your poem, I love the idea of leap day being a magical switch that flicks one season off and another on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the child who acts out the most that needs the most love and compassion. I often wish we had annual parenting classes to help parents navigate through each year of their child's life. Sadly, this doesn't exist, and many parents give up their responsibilities to a cell phone. :'( I'm happy you enjoyed my poem, Lisa. Thanks for visiting. :-)

      Delete
  7. That's just a lovely little piece, Yvette.

    Here, early spring is all about insects and allergies!

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is allergic to all of it, so I completely understand your sentiment. Thanks for visiting, David! :-)

      Delete
  8. A beautiful peak at springs arrival.πŸ’œπŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  9. (Jules) Signs of spring are everywhere - new blooms, no more snow, rain, wind, birds looking for nesting places, frogs sunning in warmed mud...

    And all with the gain of a day and the loss of an hour ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the gain of more sunlight. Thanks for visiting, Jules! :-)

      Delete
  10. Good reminder to always be the for others struggling especially our youth. Beautiful poem, I grt excited to see the buds on trees and daffodils here. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's a beautiful sight, Denise! Thanks for sharing! :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)