Hello, beautiful readers! The first full week of school is officially behind me. I'm still adjusting to waking up at 5am every weekday morning, but I'm going to bed earlier to make sure I'm getting the right amount of sleep. I wasn't able to get to the beach this weekend, but I did manage to hang out with my circle of friends, which was stress-releasing, especially since we went to watch Spa Weekend and then have dinner. If you get a chance, watch that movie. It's hilarious! I haven't laughed like that in a while.
With the week being so busy, I haven't had much time to write (other than my one haiku a day), so today I'm combining two prompts. The first comes from We'ave Written Weekly (W3) Prompt #225, where Judy Dykstra-Brown creates the following scenario:
An old woman blows out 78 candles on her birthday cake, but one refuses to go out, no matter how hard she blows. It burns with a blue flame and whispers a name she hasn't heard in 40 years. Your poem is her conversation with that candle. What does she decide to do: let it keep burning, or pinch it out?
The other prompt is from #TankaTuesday where I was the host. I challenged everyone to write a poem about trepidation. W3's poem seems to blend well with this idea, so I'm putting them together (especially since I don't have much time to write).
For these challenges, I decided to write an experimental haibun that focuses on story-telling more than expository prose.
Last Birthday
Edith placed the cake she bought for herself on her dining table. There was no birthday song sung or any friends or family present. She had long ago secluded herself in her cabin from their toxicity. She blew the 78 candles with her labored breath until all but one candle was extinguished. Try as she might, it burned with a blue flame. She stared into its alluring flickering dance and gasped when she heard it whisper, "Edith."
She leaned closer, not trusting her eyes or ears. "Edith, my love," it whispered. "Come to me. I'm waiting for you."
Her heart began to race as her shaking hand reached toward the candle. Tears ran down her face as her husband's voice caressed her heart. She had not heard his voice since a car accident had stolen him from her forty years ago. She had missed him every day since then. She longed to feel his arms around her again.
Was her mind playing tricks on her? Could she let go of her lonely life, not know what, if anything, awaited her on the other side? Closing her eyes, she made her final wish and blew out that last candle with her dying breath.
a love gone too soon
memories fade with time
heart never forgets
Would you like to write a poem for either of these prompts? Click the links below:

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)