Thursday, April 11, 2024

#TankaTuesday 24 Seasons Syllabic #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #seasonalKigo #Kigo #seasons #Seimei #Spring #cherryblossoms #fiddleheadferns #twitteringbirds @YvetteMCalleiro


Hello, beautiful readers! I hope you are having a wonderful week. I'm not sure how many of you were able to enjoy the solar eclipse. I was teaching, but I enjoyed seeing the pictures that people posted from different places, especially from people with really fancy cameras. :-)

This week's 24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge is the second part of the Seimei season. This week, Colleen Chesebro invited us to write three poems using the following phrases:

first cherry blossoms
fiddlehead ferns
twittering of birds

Now, I'll admit I had no idea what fiddlehead ferns were, so I looked it up. They are the furled fronds of a baby fern, and people eat them! Some people use them to make medicines. Apparently, they taste like asparagus or broccoli. I'm not a fan of asparagus, so I think I'll stay away from this seasonal delicacy.

I chose to write two haiku poems and a tanka. Haiku poems focus on a part of nature and have three lines with a 5-7-5 syllabic pattern. Tanka poems have five lines with a 5-7-5-7-7 syllabic pattern with the fourth line usually being the pivot line.

(courtesy of @ChiemSeherin on Pixabay)

the coming of Spring
brings the first cherry blossoms
colorful delights


(courtesy of @lotusning2018 on Pixabay)

green fiddlehead ferns
pulled while furled make crunchy meal
life ended too soon
if left alone to flourish
ferns decorate forest floors


(courtesy of @CharlVera on Pixabay)

twittering of birds
sweet, harmonic melodies
nature's alarm clock

Would you like to write your own poems with these phrases? Join us here.

18 comments:

  1. The last one is my favourite...nature's alarm clock indeed . Enjoyed them all and as for eating ferns...a little too Elvira Madigan for me LOL ! Thank you for your comment. Our floods seem to have subsided now. Fortunately my area was not affected.......Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear your area was okay, Rall! One of the many things I love about camping is waking up to the birds chirping. It seems to soothe the soul to wake up that way. Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh my, so beautiful. Spring has arrived! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Aishwarya! I'm happy you enjoyed it. :-)

      Delete
  4. (Jules) Being retired (or tired again...) I have learned to ingnore the twittiering alarm clock of birdies :)
    Lovely verses. I enjoyed the eclipse via TV in several cities. Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tired again...lol! I showed the eclipse via the NASA site while my students were practicing their reading skills. I didn't want them to miss it just because they were stuck in class. :-)

      Delete
  5. All 3 revel in the beauty of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yvi! I enjoyed each of your poems. I love the twittering bird's haiku! I didn't know you could eat fiddlehead ferns! It was all new to me. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colleen! I didn't know, either. I'm so happy you enjoyed my poems. Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  7. Yvette, all the three poems evoke love for the beautiful season. Yes, I love the alarm of mother nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Balroop! I appreciate you stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  8. I'll never forget the first time I saw fiddleheads in the grocery store. They didn't look very appetizing, but maybe I should just try them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, there are many dishes that can include them. If they taste like asparagus, I have no desire to try them. lol! Thanks for stopping by, Mark! :-)

      Delete
  9. I didn't know you could eat fiddleheads - I learned something from the comments even. My favorite lines are the harmonies of the twittering birds. I remember hearing birds at my grandmother's house when I was still in a crib. I don't remember what they were, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful memory to have, Marsha! Thanks for sharing that with me! :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)