Thursday, February 1, 2024

#TankaTuesday 24 Seasons Syllabic #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #seasonalKigo #Kigo #seasons #Daikan #Bussokusekika #wintersparrow #Imbolc #winter @YvetteMCalleiro

Happy February, beautiful readers! I cannot believe how quickly January came and went. It was a busy month, and I accomplished most of my goals. I wrote almost every day - either 30 minutes on my WIP or 30 minutes writing a poem. I am reading every weekday during my half-hour lunch. I exercise every morning for about 10-20 minutes, depending on the routine, and I'm trying to walk twice a week in the afternoon (I struggle with that part). Still, all in all, I am quite happy with my progress for January.

For this week's 24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge, we are still in the season of Daikan, or Deep Cold, and we definitely dipped into deep cold (for South Florida) this week. We got into the high 40s (one night)/low 50s (at least in the mornings, then the high 60s/low 70s by the afternoon before dipping again). And I can confirm that I am not meant for the cold. It gave me an excuse to wear my few sweaters and my leather jacket, but I am ready for the warmth to come back. Unfortunately, the next two weeks don't look promising.

This week, Colleen Chesebro has challenged us to write a series of bussokuseki poems, which is similar to a tanka poem but has an extra line of seven syllables at the end. So, the syllabication pattern is 5-7-5-7-7-7. She's asked us to try to write three of these poems, each using one of the following three kigo phrases:

1. Imbolc or groundhog day
2. Depth of winter
3. Winter sparrow

This one took some thought for me, and I haven't had much time to think. Hopefully, you'll enjoy what I've created.

(courtesy of @AdinaVoicu on Pixabay)

winter sparrow flies
her song comforts in the cold
heard but rarely seen
a small gift of melodies
decorates the snowy trees
sweet, seasonal harmony

(courtesy of @StockSnap on Pixabay)

relentless winter
burning bonfires for Imbolc
banish body shakes
celebrate the coming Spring
make preparations today
and pray for winter's quick end


cold winds continue
some love the depth of winter
I prefer summer
where my skin soaks up sun's warmth
and my toes dig deep in sand
may winter end, summer start

Would you like to join us in writing a bussokuseki? Click here.

39 comments:

  1. Love these, Yvette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did it again. It’s Luanne, not anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each one is a taste of winter, looking at it from multiple perspectives.
    You are doing much better than I am at keeping up with your goals! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kerfe! For me, it's all about creating a routine. So far, my routine has held well. Hopefully, it keeps staying that way. :-)

      Delete
  4. Love them all....the sparrow one is exquisite !...Welll done !....Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rall! That one was the hardest for me to create because it's not a bird I'm familiar with. They don't fly this far south. I'm happy you liked it. :-)

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed all your lines, Yve and the photos you included.
    Glad to hear you’re accomplishing so much already. A good start is tops. I got detailed at the start. February is going well, so far. Spring around the corner—yay. Xo Selma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait for Spring! Bring on the heat...lol! Thanks for visiting, Selma! :-)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful, Yvette. I'm not sure which season I like the best, but the summer sun is awfully nice. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer is definitely my favorite! Thanks for stopping by, Gwen! :-)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sujata! I appreciate you visiting and commenting! :-)

      Delete
  8. Bonfire, bare toes ... so much goodness here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on those, Elizabeth! Grounding and celebrating! :-)

      Delete
  9. (Jules) Since I feed my birdies, if I am lucky I can hear them between beakfuls of seed ;) I was just looking at one of the bushes in front of my house... no leaves, but the remains of a nest from last year. I wonder if the bird who made it will come back - or make a new one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents feed their birds as well and get such great joy at watching them visit. They have pigeons who make nests on their porch, and those usually come back. So, maybe yours will as well. Thanks for sharing, Jules! :-)

      Delete
  10. Yvi, congratulations on reaching your goals for the month of January! I love the different perspectives of winter you chose for your series. I also love that you mixed up the order of the kigo phrases. Even better, you let your personality shine through your words. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colleen! It took me a bit to come up with these. The winter sparrow was stumping me until I realized that it made more sense in my neck of the woods for it to go first. I'm glad you enjoyed my choices. :-)

      Delete
  11. Hi Yvette, these are beautiful. I especially like the lonely melancholy of the first poem. Like you, I prefer summer. Robbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were a bird, I would definitely be one that flies south for the winter. Lol! Thanks for stopping by, Robbie! :-)

      Delete
  12. Absolutely beautiful, I do not like winter I do not like the lack of light or the cold 💜💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I, Willow! It just always seems dreary. I was my bright sun and happy skies back. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  13. I also prefer summer .... great poems, I absolutely love the winter sparrow - there is a huge bush near me that I never see the birds but there are so many inside it sounds like the bush is alive your "small gift of melodies" really touched this - as I walk near silence falls and then they start to sing again almost one at a time until so loud - I love walking near, but try not to get too close or they totally hush .... really lovely
    💞Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Suzanne! I always find myself pausing when I come near a tree where birds are singing. I try to find them as well. It's just so peaceful. Thanks for sharing! :-)

      Delete
  14. Yvette I like all 3 poems, but the one about the sparrow warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Lisa! I appreciate you sharing that with me. That seems to be the favorite! :-)

      Delete
  15. Wonderful words, Yvette. I hope the warm days grace you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Mark. It's freezing today (60 degrees)! It should be back in the 80s by Sunday. I can't wait! Lol! Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  16. Yvette, the imagery in your verses captures the essence of seasonal transitions with such vivid detail and contrasting emotions... I particularly like the third verse, which evokes a sense of longing for me.

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David! I am definitely longing for summer right now. I am not a fan of the cold. Lol! Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  17. Congrats on the writing progress, Yvette. Wonderful poems - especially the third since I'd love to dig my toes in the sand about now. :-) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! Digging my toes in the sand is one of my favorite things to do. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  18. Dreaming of sandy toes in the depth of winter. Great idea!🏖️

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)