Saturday, January 13, 2024

#TankaTuesday Weekly #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #seasonalKigo #Kigo #seasons #Shokan #Haibun #snowfight #snow @YvetteMCalleiro

 

Hello, beautiful readers! School started back up again this week, and so did my busy schedule. It's the morning of day 13 of 2024, and I'm proud to say I was able to write for thirty minutes on eleven of the twelve days that have passed. Ten of those days were spent making progress on Drake's story. I used the other day to write something else. 

I have also completed a 15-20 home workout every morning, did an indoor walking exercise one afternoon (weather hasn't been conducive for walking outside), and used my sauna once. Not quite the goal I had hoped for, but it's still more than I had been doing, so I'm happy with my progress. It's been a stressful week for me with a lot happening, so last night was my first opportunity to look at my email and visit my favorite blogs, including Colleen Chesebro's 24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge.

This week's invitation was to write a haibun using the kigo words for Early Cold, the Shokan season. A haibun is a paragraph of prose (storytelling) with a haiku attached. The haiku has three lines with approximately 12-17 syllables, depending on whether you use the 3-5-3, 2-3-2, or 5-7-5 pattern. 

With all the stress that has surrounded me this week, the first thing that came to my mind when I thought of the traditional kigo words for Early Cold was snow. Obviously, we do not have snow here in South Florida, but a memory came to me so vividly that I felt myself smile and relax as I gave in to reliving that moment. So, I knew I would use it for my haibun.

For those of you new to my blog, since my son was very young, we have spent the summers traveling the USA, usually with my parents. I shared our journeys at the beginning of 2023 through a series of blogs which you can visit here. In July 2017, we visited the West Coast, where my son saw snow for the first time on the top of Crater Lake National Park. He then saw snow again at Government Camp in Oregon and at Mt. Hood. So, I'll use the kigo word snow in my haibun to capture that moment.


First Snow

My son squealed as we rounded yet another bend on our way to the top of the mountain. The narrow, winding road opened to a vast hill on its right side with the most beautiful white blanket of snow. Unable to contain his excitement at seeing snow for the first time, he begged me to pull over, which I did. We climbed the embankment, and I watched in delight as my son picked up the icy, powdery substance in his hands for the first time. I barely acknowledged the brisk, chilly, breeze that came down the mountain; my heart warmed my soul with the breathtaking sight in front of me - a child's pure joy.

snow fight on a hill
mother reverts to a child
loud laughter echoes


Do you remember the first time you (or your children) saw snow? I'd love to hear about it.

If you'd like to write a poem and join us in this challenge, click here

32 comments:

  1. I LOVE this haibun so much! What a fabulous adventure you guys had playing in the snow. I had a huge grin on my face while I watched your video. In the background, here in my neighborhood, I could hear snowblowers cleaning the sidewalks. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy my haibun made you smile, Colleen! It truly was a magical moment for my son, my parents, and me. :-)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful moment to revisit, Yvette! I love the photo AND the poem. When I was a child, it snowed every year, even though I lived in the southeastern corner of New Mexico. It was always fun and I loved it when our dad joined in. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! I moved around a lot since my dad was in the Army. We lived in places where the snow reached our knees and in other places where it never snowed. I definitely prefer living in the "no snow" zones, but it's nice to visit and play in snow every now and then. :-)

      Delete
  3. A lovely personal post....enjoyed it...Excuse me who is wearing shorts and a sleeveless shirt in the snow? I always suspected I did not hail from this planet:)....Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the laugh, Rall! These pictures are in July, so the temperature on top of the mountain wasn't as cold as the winter months. The snow that was there was leftover snow from the winter that had not melted because of the elevation. :-)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, Yvette. I loved the video with the playful laughter. What a treasure that is!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gwen! When these moments pop up on my screen or TV, it always warms my heart. :-)

      Delete
  5. I love this Yvette - it's so great being a child again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once we are adults, we forget how carefree those moments are. So, whenever we get the moment to play like a child, we should take advantage of it. Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  6. Love the video and a close-to-life haibun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such wonderful memories and a beautiful poem, Yvi. It sounds like you're off to a good start this year. Love and hugs and best wishes 💕😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Harmony! I wish you all the best this year as well. Take care. XOXO :-)

      Delete
  8. I wanted to add that though I'm following your blog, I'm not getting updates, an Reader won't let me add you for some reason. So, I'm not ignoring you, Yvi. All the best, Harmony 💕😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Harmony! Blogger is not user-friendly, and I can't seem to get much help. One of these days, I'm just going to give up and move over to WP. Thanks for visiting when you can. :-)

      Delete
  9. Yvette,

    You skillfully weave a heartwarming haibun, capturing the essence of a cherished moment with your son experiencing snow for the first time. The prose sets the scene vividly, and the haiku beautifully encapsulates the joyous atmosphere!

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David! I truly appreciate your kind words. :-)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful moments shared, Yvette. The beginning of the year is a bit hard and slow for me too, but I’m sure I’ll pick up speed soon.
    -Jude-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive energy, Jude! I appreciate it. :-)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for visiting my blog, Yvette. Look at you guys playing in the snow in SHORTS and short shirts! That's the difference between Oregon and the East and Midwest. You saw some of the most gorgeous places in Oregon out of a entirely inspiring state. You are giving your son some unforgettable experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marsha! I'm all for seeing snow in July! Lol! Oregon is just breathtakingly beautiful! I hope to visit again one day. :-)

      Delete
  12. Hi Yvette, what a lovely idea for a haibun. Michael was theee when he first experienced snow in France. He pulled out of my arms and jumped straight into the closest snowdrift. He soaked himself and we had to find a shop to replace his hat and gloves for the day. Robbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor thing! So much excitement but he had no idea what he was in for! Lol! Thanks for visiting and sharing that memory, Robbie! :-)

      Delete
  13. You were in my backyard, Yvette, and I'm so glad you and your son got to romp in the snow. I could feel and hear the delight. My kids grew up with snow, but I remember my mom talking about her first snow after she moved from the tropics as a teen. She ran outside in her bare feet, squealed, and ran back in. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine your mom doing that. Lol! It's hard to tell just how cold snow is from movies. Thanks for making me laugh, Diana! :-)

      Delete
  14. (Jules) Hi, Yevette -
    Lovely memory. We lived in Indiana when my guys were little. Snow didn't happen often then. It doesn't happen that often now in SE PA - but there was that bizzard where I followed hubby with a medical kit and shovel and our children (both) followed us to help clear a drive for the neighbor that almost had her baby at home!

    In another blizzard year there was enough snow to create snow cave in the front yard!

    Continued success at school. We just don't hear much of the grands school daze. But we can only hope they are doing well in 8th and 5th grades. Cheers (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember ever getting stuck in a blizzard! That definitely does not sound fun. Thanks for sharing, Jules! :-)

      Delete
  15. What a wonderful haibun, Yvette! I can just feel your son's excitement in his first snow. This reminds me of my childhood when my parents had a cabin in Big Bear, CA. Lots of great memories of playing in the snow, sledding, and tobogganing. Love this! 💖❄️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren! I've always played around with the idea of owning a cabin. Maybe one day... Thanks for sharing! :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)