Thursday, January 4, 2024

#TankaTuesday Weekly #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #seasonalKigo #Kigo #seasons #Shokan #BadgersHexastich #Floridawinter #winter @YvetteMCalleiro


Hello, beautiful readers! Happy New Year! I'm excited to share that I am writing once again. I've written two chapters of Drake's story, and I am eager and excited about finishing his story this year. The goal is June, so fingers crossed I make it. I am also hoping to write more poetry this year, which brings me to this post.

For this week's 24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge, Colleen Chesebro introduced the season of Shokan, or Early Cold. The challenge was to use kigo (seasonal) words that represent this season in our area of the world. This past week was a bit cold for me. We had temperatures in the high 40s at night on one or two nights (mostly, it was in the 50s, but that's still cold for me). And now, we are moving into better weather (60s at night and high 70s/low 80s during the day). 

I chose to write a double Badger's Hexastich. This poetry form has six unrhymed lines with a syllabication pattern of 2-4-6-6-4-2. My kigo words are bolded and italicized within the poem. I chose this form because I needed a form that had four syllables on one line. My sister, niece, and I went biking and hiking in the Florida National Everglades Park on New Year's Day, and as we were leaving, we were gifted with the most beautiful sunset. So, I wanted that to be a part of my poem.

(courtesy of @MabelAmber on Pixabay)

Florida Winters

clear skies
stunning sunsets
brush strokes in fiery red
a few wintery days
sweater weather
brisk breeze

next day
sun's heat returns
winds die down, bring calm waves
sunbathing commences
South Florida
winters

Would you like to join our poetry fun? Join us here.

39 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous sunset Yvette and lovely verse too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for the sunset, but I appreciate the kind words for the poem. :-)

      Delete
  2. After the summer's too hotness, I'm sure this cooler warmth is welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cooler warmth is welcome but not the cold! Lol! I'm happy about no humidity but if Mother Nature could keep it above 75 degrees, I'd be happy. Lol! Thanks for visiting and commenting, Kerfe! :-)

      Delete
  3. Excellent poem, Yvette! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely I feel the heat and see the skies and wish it was not so dull cold and wet here 💜💜💜 wishing you a happy healthy and peaceful and productive New Year 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willow! I don't know if I could handle living where the sky is dull and dreary. I think I'd be depressed all the time. Sending you happy vibes and wishing you a beautiful new year! :-)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful Yvette and reflects the changeability of the Florida winter...and so pleased you are back writing again... Sally ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sally! I'm trying to write a little bit every day (at least five days a week). I'm hoping that by keeping it at a small, reachable goal, I'll be able to stay consistent. Thanks for visiting today! :-)

      Delete
  6. Yvette, your vivid descriptions and rhythmic syllabication beautifully capture the essence of Florida's winter. The balance of nature's elements and personal experiences in your verses paints a delightful picture. Looking forward to more of your poetic journey! 🌅📝

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love your visits, David, because your kind words motivate me to keep writing, keep trying. Thank you for always being so positive! :-)

      Delete
  7. Lovely poetry, Yvette, and I wish you all the best with your book! 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren! I appreciate the well wishes. :-)

      Delete
  8. A lovely poem Yvette! Sadje

    ReplyDelete
  9. A little of this and a little of that for weather isn't a bad thing. The form works well for your poems about the changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A little cold can be tolerated, I guess. Lol! Thanks for visiting and commenting. :-)

      Delete
  10. oops forgot to log in. I'm anonymous of the previous comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweater weather sounds so good to me. I love it, and then with the exercise of biking, this is perfect. I enjoyed your Badger Hexastich, Yve. Double. Doubly. and your kigos for this round. Bundle up and enjoy the cool weather. All the best, Selma. Happy New year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Selma! As Florida goes, it's about to hit 82 degrees today, which is perfectly fine by me. Lol! I appreciate you visiting. :-)

      Delete
  12. Oh my, so lovely - each day a delight. Beautifully composed, Yvette. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely sunset and poem....Rall

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a spectacular sunset! I've never seen one that stunning. What a gift. I loved your Badger's hexastich duo. It's a perfect pair. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could take credit for that picture, but I didn't take it. It is pretty spectacular, isn't it? I'm so happy you enjoyed my poem, Colleen! :-)

      Delete
  15. (Jules) Only a few days in FL... one was filled with rain!
    On the way in though we saw an almost full orange moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we had a rain day a few days ago, but the moon was gorgeous! :-)

      Delete
  16. I love your poem, I wish I could be there! 💞Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful poem and so happy you are writing again. Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise! It feels great to be writing again. :-)

      Delete
  18. Hi, Sounds like Florida has the kind of winters that they have in Sicily. I could use that kind of winter in Germany. Very nice poem. Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. Haha! I completely understand, Melissa! I absolutely love where I live. Thanks for visiting and making me laugh. :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)