Friday, October 13, 2023

#TankaTuesday Weekly #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #seasonalKigo #Kigo #seasons #tanka #colddew #shubun @ColleenChesebro @YvetteMCalleiro


Hello, beautiful readers! For this week's 24 Seasons Syllabic Poetry Challenge, Colleen Chesebro brings us a new season, Shubun, or Cold Dew in the northern hemisphere. This season runs from October 8th through October 22nd. 

The seasonal, or kigo, words focus on Fall images. Here in South Florida, we don't really experience much of that, so I chose to use pumpkin spice as my kigo word since our radio hosts won't shut up about it. πŸ˜‚ Personally, I'm not a pumpkin spice kind of girl, but I know several people who crave it when this season comes around. 

I chose to write another tanka poem. I enjoy writing this form, especially because the pivot line allows for two different images or thoughts. Tanka poems have five lines with a 5-7-5-7-7 syllabic pattern. 

(courtesy of @TheoCrazzolara on Pixabay)


Halloween dΓ©cor
pumpkin spice is all the rage
Fall season is here
my neighborhood just pretends
no changing leaves this far south

Are you a fan of pumpkin spice? If so, what's your favorite drink? I'd love to hear from you.

Would you like to join us in writing seasonal poetry? Click here.

18 comments:

  1. No changing leaves. Didn’t know that. I don’t know about pumpkin spice. Would like to try it. I love the pumpkin steamed in banana leaves which is the common way of cooking it here. Would like to try it in other forms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet pumpkin steamed in banana leaves tastes delicious. Pumpkin spice has become a great Fall marketing tool in America (not sure if it's in other places). When coffee places like Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts start bringing out their pumpkin spice coffees and drinks, people get all excited. It's a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger, but it's the smell and flavor people associate with Fall, I guess. Here in South Florida, we mostly have palm trees and evergreens, and since our temperature is always on the warmer (to very hot) side, our trees don't change colors as the seasons change. Thanks for visiting, Jude! :-)

      Delete
  2. Love your tanka, Yvette :) I'm a big pumpkin fan. We do pumpkin waffles and bread this time of year. I don't drink coffee anymore so I don't do that pumpkin spice but have it in a candle! All our trees are just starting to turn and glow. Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The changing of leaves is such a beautiful site to see! I'm happy you get to experience it. Thanks for stopping by, Denise! :-)

      Delete
  3. I love this, Yvi. No one has used pumpkin spice. But, just saying the word, means autumn to me. LOL! Well done. I'm so glad you were able to join in. πŸŽƒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I, Colleen! I love writing and hope I start finding more time in my schedule to participate more. Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  4. Yvette, I remember going to FL once during December and it was fun seeing all of the Christmas decorations up with no snow and temps in the 80s. Why the heck not Halloween too ;) How is your son doing???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is doing much better. I've been taking him to my holistic doctor, and she's done more for him than the concussion doctor. His headaches are almost all gone, and he's starting to concentrate for longer periods of time. Thank you for asking! XOXO :-)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful, Yvi. I love everything pumpkin spice. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Gwen! I'm very limited in what I eat/drink, so it's never been something that I've been tempted to enjoy. I appreciate you stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  6. Autumn leaves and pumpkin carving and spice πŸ’œπŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to carve pumpkins with my son when he was little. That was our way of trying to bring the season down to South Florida. Lol! Thanks for visiting and sharing, Willow! :-)

      Delete
  7. I'm not a pumpkin spice girl either, Yvette, but it's a sure sign that autumn is here. Great poem. Thanks for the smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Diana. Thanks for sharing and visiting! :-)

      Delete
  8. Hi Yvette, Wonderful tanka, and I do love pumpkin spice, especially pumpkin spice lattes for a treat. πŸ§‘πŸŽƒ☕️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Lauren! I don't drink coffee, so I miss out on those. :-)

      Delete
  9. I'm going to sip a pumpkin spiced latte,as I reread your wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Enjoy every minute of it, Mark. ;-) Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)