Sunday, August 27, 2023

#TankaTuesday Weekly #Poetry Challenge - #Syllabic #poem #poetrycommunity #seasonalKigo #Kigo #seasons #beachinspired @ColleenChesebro @YvetteMCalleiro


Hello, beautiful readers! The first full week of school is behind me, and I honestly did not think I would get to this week's #TankaTuesday Weekly Poetry Challenge. Luckily, I became inspired while sitting at the beach today. 

This week, Colleen Chesebro challenged us to use at least one kigo word in our syllabic poem. As Colleen explained, "A kigo is a season word used in haiku and haibun (the haiku portion)." Kigo can include seasonal words, the sky and other elements, landscape, human affairs, animals, and plants.

As I was sitting at the beach today, I sunk my feet in the sand after my second swim to the buoy and back and gazed at the clouds on the horizon. They looked like a painting where light and shadow were used to create texture. I tried to take a picture of it, but it couldn't capture the beautiful art that nature was creating. 

I chose to write a haiku with a syllabic pattern of 5-7-5. Haikus contain kigo, or seasonal words. I believe I used a few words that represent kigo below. Haikus are also untitled.

(courtesy of @theheadwitch2001 on Pixabay)

multi-colored clouds
drift idly in summer sky
pelicans hunt prey

Can you create a haiku using a seasonal word? Join us here.

14 comments:

  1. Yvette, this is lovely. Beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Luanne! I'm so happy you enjoyed it. :-)

      Delete
  2. So lovely, Yvette! Did you get to see any pelicans yourself?

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, two pelicans flew over the water on Sunday. They are so beautiful to watch in flight. Thanks for visiting, David! :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi,I don't know whether that is Kigo, but I love the descriptive poetry of how the sky looked. The words fit the picture. Good job.
    Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I believe the words cloud and summer (maybe even pelican) are kigo. I'm still learning. I appreciate you stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! I appreciate you visiting and commenting. :-)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous words for this gorgeous image, Yvette. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Lauren! I'm so happy you enjoyed it. Thanks for visiting. :-)

      Delete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)