Hello, beautiful readers! I almost missed out on last week's poetry challenges, but I was inspired to write one today. Life is busy as always for me, and I leave out of town this Thursday for a weekend trip, so I'm not sure I'll get to participate in this week's challenges.
I've combined two challenges together to the best of my ability. The first is Wea've Written Weekly (W3) Prompt #226, where Michelle invites us to write a tanaga, which is a four-line poem of exactly seven syllables in each line with an AAAA rhyme scheme. The theme is "Life and Wisdom." She invited us to explore the lessons we have learned from life, our choices, and our experiences.
The second prompt is from #TankaTuesday, where Colleen invites us to use color as a metaphor in our poem. I chose to go with gold which represents power and divine mercy.
I've been struggling with a decision lately. A person from my past who caused me some PTSD is going to be at an event that I'm looking forward to going to, but I just don't know if I can enjoy myself around that person. There is a part of me that is considering not going, but the other part of me doesn't want to give that person any power over me, especially for something that happened many, many years ago. This poem came to me as I pondered on these prompts, and I feel as if my muse is sending me her lesson.
the bent tree does not cower
to next hurricane's power
past storms left it empower(ed)
it basks in the golden hour
Would you like to write a poem for either of these prompts? Join us here:

Yvette, I love how your bent tree shows that weathering hard storms can leave us not smaller, but stronger enough to enjoy the light again.
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
David
SkepticsKaddish.com
Thank you, David! I appreciate you visiting. :-)
DeleteBasking in the golden hour is a lovely image.
ReplyDeletehttps://rallentanda.blogspot.com/2026/08/senryu-sunday.html
You are invited to join in "SENRYU SUNDAY" on my blog
Thank you, Rall! I appreciate your visit. :-)
DeleteWhat a lovely uplifting lesson you leave us with Yvette. Stupendous. Love it. Thanks. Xo, Selma
ReplyDeleteThank you, Selma! I appreciate you stopping by! :-)
DeleteYvette, I like how you turned a learned lesson into something positive. The first line, to me, feels like even though you have weathered storms, you are still standing. Such power in your words.
ReplyDeleteThank you, O'Nika! Bent not broken. I appreciate your visit. :-)
DeleteBeautiful lesson,Yvette! It does make us stronger. Sending hugs xo
ReplyDeleteThank you, Denise! I appreciate you visiting. :-)
DeleteGreat take, Yvette. Nature is always there to teach us a few things.
ReplyDeleteYes, it is! Thank you for stopping by! :-)
DeleteYvette, I love this poem! What a wonderful way to view the past!! you have described a survivor's attitude instead of a victim's point of view. - murisopsis
ReplyDeleteThank you, Val! I appreciate your visit. :-)
Deletehi, Yvette❣️
ReplyDeleteJust wanna let you know that this week's W3, hosted by our beloved Reena, is now live until next Monday:
W3
Enjoy!
Much love,
David
SkepticsKaddish.com
Thank you, David! I hope to participate this week. :-)
DeleteToo often we do let other people make our choices. Be brave and weather this storm. You don't have to engage with the person you don't like... especially if you are enjoying other folks and the event you wish to attend.
ReplyDeleteYes, your muse is telling you to be brave :)
Thank you, Jules! I know she is. I appreciate your wise words. :-)
Delete