Thursday, August 13, 2026

Beginning of School - #W3 #TankaTuesday #school #poem #poetry #poetrycommunity @YvetteMCalleiro



Hello, beautiful readers! Today was my first day of school with my new students. Although I'm exhausted and my throat hurts from projecting my voice all day, I am happy with my classes and the students I met today. Tomorrow, I'll meet the students in my even day classes. 

I'm combining two poetry prompts today because they seem to fit well together. The first is Wea've Written Weekly (W3) Prompt 224 where David invites us to write about "experiencing something familiar as if it were happening for the first time again." 

In this week's #TankaTuesday Poetry Challenge, Willow invites us to write about autumn by using a Celtic syllabic poetry form. I chose to use the Seadna, which is a bit complicated. Here is the structure (which I borrowed from David's page because he explained it so well):

Each stanza has 4 lines. The lines have an 8-7-8-7 pattern.

Lines 1 and 3 end with a two-syllable word. Lines 2 and 4 end with a one-syllable word. 

The poem uses rhyme:
  • The last words of Lines 2 and 4 rhyme.
  • The last word of Line 3 rhymes with an important word near the end of Line 4.
  • The second half of the poem also has extra inside rhymes.
Every line uses alliteration, which means repeating the same beginning sound in important words.
  • The last syllable of Line 1 should alliterate with the first stressed word in Line 2.
  • In Line 4, the final word should alliterate with an important word just before it.
Complicated, right? Lol! Since autumn begins the new school year, and every school year is different in its own way, I decided to write about the beginning of school. I'm not sure I hit all the parts of this form, but I tried.

(image courtesy of @stux on Pixabay)

a new school year's 'bout to begin
get to create sweet, fresh start
new ideas flourish within
hope finds home in happy heart


Would you like to try either of these prompts? Click the links below:


3 comments:

  1. This fits each challenge perfectly Yvette - hope this new school year will be full of joy and success 😃🙌

    ReplyDelete
  2. The summer went by WAY too fast! But in a way, I'm glad to fall back into a routine. Loved the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the daughter of teachers and with teachers as siblings and having too many teacher friends - this is perfection!! - murisopsis

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please share your thoughts with me! :-)